You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-22 14:17:27

markg85

Request: xf86-intel-video-legace version 1.7.1

Hi,

I installed archlinux on my notebook and everything works just fine except 3d performance.
It's close to horrible with UXA and my intel i810 integrated graphics. Oke, it's old but used to work very well when UXA wasn't forced on me.

The release notes of the xf86-video-intel driver 2.8.0 (http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/x … 46534.html) stated that EXA is removed from that point so i guess exa is still in the last 2.7.x version hence the request for that version.

Now there used to be a xf86-video-legacy for archlinux but that package seems to be gone..? the last thing i could find of it was: http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/package … k/PKGBUILD which is a bit to old for my taste ^_^ So, could someone please try to release the 2.7.1 version for the current xorg and xorg-server versions? i tried to compile it but it wasn't possible for me due to some missing header files (like xf86resources.h) so maybe someone more knowledgeable in this area can give it a try?

O and i don't mind going back a xorg-server version (and xorg) if that will help.. just tell me how since this is a fresh install and i simply don't have the older packages.

And why do i request this?
1. glxgears performance is 3x better with that driver
2. KDE works a LOT better with that driver
3. compiz is usable with that driver and __NOT__ with the current driver
4. the overall desktop environment works more fluid with that version

Thanx,
Mark.

#2 2009-11-22 15:15:22

MadTux

Re: Request: xf86-intel-video-legace version 1.7.1

If you want to go back to an older version, e.g. xorg-server 1.6 including dependencies, one simple solution would be to look for an outdated mirror. For instance, mirror.pacific.net.au is badly out of synch (almost 84 days) and still has xorg-server 1.6 with xf86-video-intel-legacy. You would then place this mirror in front of your mirrorlist and either re-install X or delete and then install X. To make sure you stay on that version of X you would blacklist xorg-server and some additional modules (don't remember exactly which ones, but that can be tested out) and then switch back to a more current mirror.

#3 2009-11-22 20:25:51

markg85

MadTux wrote:

If you want to go back to an older version, e.g. xorg-server 1.6 including dependencies, one simple solution would be to look for an outdated mirror. For instance, mirror.pacific.net.au is badly out of synch (almost 84 days) and still has xorg-server 1.6 with xf86-video-intel-legacy. You would then place this mirror in front of your mirrorlist and either re-install X or delete and then install X. To make sure you stay on that version of X you would blacklist xorg-server and some additional modules (don't remember exactly which ones, but that can be tested out) and then switch back to a more current mirror.

Thank you, gonna try that suggestion. I will post the results here.

#4 2009-11-23 14:41:54

markg85

Oke, it did work.. then i blocked some packages till there where no more conflicts. Then i did a system upgrade.. and BAM fully broken. X just takes minutes to load to end in a crash. So i sadly had to update the blocked packages as well to get the system functioning again and now i'm back at square one.

And from the looks of it (the one time i had it working with EXA) wasn't all fully working but good and fast enough.
To give a glxgears example:
EXA : ~1500 FPS
UXA : ~300 FPS

I know glxgears isn't a clear indicator of speed but it gives a direction. This one tells me that my UXA performance is about 1/5th of EXA which is plain horrible.

Board footer