You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-23 22:42:06

xn123

dwm wiki error

When I try to follow the installation steps on the wiki, I get errors.  If I follow them as the root user, makepkg complains about running as root.  If I run them as a normal user it complains about not finding sudo.  Someone might need to tweak the wiki and insert what user ID the steps should be followed as.  It would help the newbies.

#2 2009-11-23 22:56:45

karol
Archivist

Re: dwm wiki error

What does 'pacman -Q sudo' show? Maybe you don't have it installed?
'pacman -S dwm' installs dwm. If you want to customize it though you need to recompile it (you probably know it).

#3 2009-11-23 22:57:10

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Each of the commands in the wiki is precede by a # - indicating root, or a $ for normal user.

Did they not work for you?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2009-11-23 23:01:56

llcawthorne

Complained about not finding sudo?  First question, is sudo installed and working on your system?  (try typing 'sudo make me a sandwich' it should prompt you for a password and then give you an error around an undefined make rule).

I had a different problem running makepkg -efi from the wiki, so I ended up running makepkg -cfi.  Not really sure the difference.  It didn't overwrite my config.h though (which is what I worried about without the e), and it seemed to do the job, although I haven't tried logging in with DWM yet to see if it took the changes I made.

To understand recursion, you must understand recursion.

#5 2009-11-23 23:01:59

Gen2ly
Website

xn123 wrote:

When I try to follow the installation steps on the wiki, I get errors.  If I follow them as the root user, makepkg complains about running as root.  If I run them as a normal user it complains about not finding sudo.  Someone might need to tweak the wiki and insert what user ID the steps should be followed as.  It would help the newbies.

Hmmmmmmm.......

From the BG:

Arch Linux is aimed at competent GNU/Linux users...

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#6 2009-11-24 10:40:47

xn123

Gen2ly wrote:
xn123 wrote:

Hmmmmmmm.......

From the BG:

Perhaps the competent thing is to include the sudo package as a dependency of the abs package, or as a dependency in the make file. Running the suggested commands should never result in an error.

#7 2009-11-24 10:42:09

xn123

jasonwryan wrote:

Each of the commands in the wiki is precede by a # - indicating root, or a $ for normal user.

Did they not work for you?

You are correct, it's been a while since I used linux, and I didn't catch that. That, and I didn't have sudo installed (or configured).

#8 2009-11-24 14:29:34

karol
Archivist

Solved?

#9 2009-11-24 14:35:48

rson451
Website

xn123 wrote:
Gen2ly wrote:
xn123 wrote:

Hmmmmmmm.......

From the BG:

Perhaps the competent thing is to include the sudo package as a dependency of the abs package, or as a dependency in the make file. Running the suggested commands should never result in an error.

sudo isn't a dependency of the abs package because it's not required to use it.  I believe you are having issues with 'makepkg -i' which does require sudo.  This is simply a convenience, alternatively don't use the -i flag, and install the resulting package as root.

As a general note.. if you've never used a tool mentioned in a wiki page, you may want to read up about it.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by rson451 (2009-11-24 17:59:19)

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

Board footer