You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-22 22:58:45

DWilliams

Trouble getting video working right on HP 2133 netbook

I wasn't sure what forum to post this on. I doubt it's a problem with the netbook itself, more likely it's a problem resulting from my own ignorance so I'm posting here.

I wanted to get Arch running on my netbook for a while now, and finally sat down to get it going. I followed the beginner's guide, and got a (semi) functional system as a result. I installed my video driver (openchrome) and KDE successfully. I can start KDE fine, but the video is messed up. The loading splash screen comes up and looks beautiful. You couldn't tell there was any problem at all until it actually loads and gets to the workspace. It detects and sets my resolution correctly at 1280x768, but it's still screwed up. The default bottom panel and the KDE cashew both look smaller than they should be, but all programs and almost everything else is WAY too big, especially fonts. Most fonts are so gigantic that they take up more space than the container they are in, making it impossible to read anything. Generally, it looks like the kind of thing you would expect running at some incredibly small resolution, but KDE indicates it is at the correct resolution and the desktop generally appears to be roughly the correct resolution.

I tried Googling this problem and discovered that apparently the standard openchrome releases don't work on the HP2133 . but the unreleased versions do, so I uninstalled the x86-video-openchrome package from the repos and downloaded the very latest version of openchrome from the official SVN and compiled/installed it, but it's still screwed up like this. I'm using the auto-config version of xorg.conf

How can I fix this?

#2 2009-11-23 07:26:25

MadTux

Re: Trouble getting video working right on HP 2133 netbook

I am not sure about the state of kernel mode setting in combination with openchrome, but since kernel mode setting is enabled by default with kernel 2.6.31, you may try to disable it by adding "nomodeset" to the grub kernel line.

#3 2009-11-24 00:57:41

DWilliams

MadTux wrote:

I am not sure about the state of kernel mode setting in combination with openchrome, but since kernel mode setting is enabled by default with kernel 2.6.31, you may try to disable it by adding "nomodeset" to the grub kernel line.

I put "nomodeset" on the end of my kernel line and rebooted but I don't see anything that changed, problem still persists.

#4 2009-11-24 16:19:46

toorlv

You should install xf86-video-openchrome, unichrome-dri from GIT/SVN, not from local packages.

Request someone to create this packages, i need them too. sad

P.S. xf86-video-openchrome-svn is available in AUR, but we need unichrome-dri-git/svn ALSO sad

Board footer