You are not logged in.

#726 2009-11-20 22:10:36

BewtsDaoc

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hey everyone,

I'm from Texas, and I moved to Arch from Windows. I originally wanted Linux so i can run a server, but I ended up getting it on my home desktop also. I am fairly new to it, and so far UNIX has been really intriguing. You will probably see me posting around, most likely in the Noob section tongue It's nice to see such a friendly environment here, and I really hope I can get to know most of you.

#727 2009-11-21 15:39:59

david.ptm56

Hola everyone,

I'm from  Mallorca, Spain. I've been using ubuntu for almost 2 years but got tired of stupid distro updates every 6 months, had a lot of troubles with sound and flash performance, with games under wine...so I decided I had enough linux knowledge to try a "more difficult" distro and Arch was the most promising looking. I installed it like a month ago in my small MSI VR201x laptop, with celeron M processor and 1GB of DDR2 ram. Wow! What a difference in performance.

First of all, intallation was a breeze. It isn't GUI guided, but the arch wiki is terrific, amazing, perfect. Seriously it was a pleasant, funny, and educative process. In a few hours I had my machine running arch linux default i686 kernel, with nano, vim, alsa, htop, yaourt, LXDE with tint2, NetworkManager + wpa_supplicant, urxvt, tilda, vimperator, speedcrunch, abiword, openoffice, mousepad, gimp, epdfview, TeXmaker, geany, jdownloader, mplayer, Quod Libet, mpd + mpc + ncmpc and wine.That's pretty much everything I'll ever need. Now my wine applications work faster than in my AMD X2 running ubuntu. ZERO sound or flash problems. Heck, I'm even able to watch youtube HD, and matroshka 720p videos with mplayer and xvmc totally smoothly when a month ago this same computer struggled badly to play the same content in SD in ubuntu under pekwm which was better than gnome but still laggy.

What can I say? I'm totally in love with Archlinux. Amazing distro, amazing support, amazing performance and amazing comunity.

Last edited by david.ptm56 (2009-11-21 15:40:40)

#728 2009-11-21 16:39:01

Romanrp

Hello! I am Richard ,I am 14 and originally from Slovakia.
I have been a distro hopper, (mandriva,opensuse,ubuntu,you know the lot)
yesterday.I installed arch on virtualbox to get the feel of it and i love it.
Today I was supposed to dualboot it with ubuntu but a sudden rush of hyperactivity meant that i erased eveything and installed arch.
It's still installing,then I will get to work on the gui.

#729 2009-11-22 12:21:56

ancleessen4
Website

Greetings from Luxembourg!

Virtualbox install completed, running fine-now for the real thing!:cool:

#730 2009-11-22 16:06:06

cake

Sup, everyone. Sweden/UK resident, switched over from Ubuntu yesterday after pulseaudio fucked me over for the last time. 24hrs later, I can actually have Spotify/wine playing Aqua - Barbie Girl at the same time as watching Tabby on youtube. Awesome. Thanks for a great wiki/community - I've only had to ask a single question to get going.

Last edited by cake (2009-11-22 16:06:39)

#731 2009-11-23 02:37:00

Ollydbg

Hello all i was using debian but now i decided to give arch a go i hope i like it smile
<-- Archlinux nub

#732 2009-11-23 04:18:17

campari

Hello everyone! Not using Arch, (but probably will at some point in the future) and mostly just lurk here.

#733 2009-11-23 10:46:30

capecodhotelsma
Website

I'm a total newbie here. I wish to be well guided with rules and regulations of the site cause I'm not that kind of a savvy. Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome post. This sure makes me feel that I belong. big_smile

Last edited by capecodhotelsma (2009-11-23 10:46:47)

#734 2009-11-24 00:11:39

Loaf

Hello!
I've decided to try and make Linux my primary OS and I decided to give Arch a go after hearing about it on a blog.

#735 2009-11-24 01:47:31

sn0wman

Hello,

I'm Adam from the US. I have been on linux for about a year now.  first ubuntu 8.10 then some others before falling in with arch.  I've been installing it on an xps m1210. 

So yeah.  Hello.

#736 2009-11-24 04:00:56

IgnorantGuru
Website

Hello all!  I finally outgrew my great teacher, Ubuntu, and now I find myself in Archland.  I really like the philosophy - just what I was looking for.  I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to it.  I had a great install experience - going from Kubuntu with KDE4 to Arch with Openbox was quite a rush.  Packages installed great and the wiki was very helpful.  And I learned so much just setting it up!  I hope I can contribute something once I get going.  Until then, enjoy.

#737 2009-11-24 20:59:25

drcouzelis
Website

Hello!

I really like the idea of a rolling release schedule and decided to try Arch Linux. I'm really liking it! big_smile

I wrote more about why I decided to try Arch Linux here:
http://static-drc.livejournal.com/79761.html

I've been using GNU/Linux for many years. If you would like to read about what hardware I use in my desktop, please see my info here:
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/User:Drcouzel
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Drcouzelis

Nice to meet you!

Last edited by drcouzelis (2013-04-17 18:14:43)

#738 2009-11-24 23:58:28

Springer1500

Hello everyone!  I'm trying Arch for the first time after having switched many times.  It seems I always migrated back to Gentoo because I don't like the "cookie cutter" approach.  So far, I'm very impressed with pacman and the ease of installation.  I may have found a new home!!

#739 2009-11-25 00:34:07

troll

hi,
I am a linux gypsy, I chose arch for the i686 packages.

Computer_specs=( "processor : pentium 4 3.0ghz" "storage : 40gb" "memory : 1536kb" "graphics : Nvidia geforce4")
"when we stop using money, we'll stop losing freedom"
my Site

#740 2009-11-25 02:15:42

DMSynck

FIrst tried Arch about 3 years ago. Wasn't really for me at the time, but now I have more experience and am giving it a second go.

Last edited by DMSynck (2010-01-08 03:51:40)

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day.  If you teach someone to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

#741 2009-11-25 04:52:50

chender
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

Hello!

I really like the idea of a rolling release schedule and decided to try Arch Linux. I'm really liking it! big_smile

I wrote more about why I decided to try Arch Linux here: http://static-drc.livejournal.com/79761.html

I've been using GNU/Linux for many years. If you would like to read about what hardware I use in my desktop, please see my info here: http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/User:Drcouzel

Nice to meet you!

Nice post on your blog.  You have summarised my views too in that articulate post.  I looked at your computer hardware set up, and well .. nice.  I am looking forward to installing arch on my soon to be received t400s/ 2.6ghz/ 128 ssd.  Will report results here somewhere.

--
thinkpad X60s [t400s coming soon] | archlinux i686 | xmonad | dmenu |

#742 2009-11-26 16:23:11

Gaeel

Hi people at the Arch community!

I'm new to Arch (still struggling setting up my system) and I'm pretty much a Linux noob (I've used openSuSE and Ubuntu, which didn't really teach me that much).

I'm of the opinion that you don't learn to swim in a paddling pool, and since messing up an install isn't quite as lethal as drowning, I've decided to jump in at the deep end and build my system from the ground up, which is pretty much what Arch will allow me to do.

I'm also a Windows user, I make tunes and I game on my XP desktop. I use my Laptop for school work, and a bit of on-the-run beatmashing with Renoise and Puredata. I like to keep things as slim as possible so I'm also hoping that Arch will allow me to streamline the performance with realtime audio on the go, perhaps allowing me to play live without having to purchase a more recent machine.

#743 2009-11-26 16:39:50

anon

So this is my story. I got really bored one day and decided I'd mess around with my computer. How it came to installing Arch, I'm not quite sure, but now that it has, I'm glad. I've learned more from the installation process than I have in just under two years of using Ubuntu.

That said, I'm relatively new to Linux and I have much to learn. The plan, then, is to learn what I can and contribute when I can.

To many a year running Arch - anon.

#744 2009-11-26 21:49:38

ShatteredVision

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Arch, been using it only for about the past 2 weeks now. I tried it once before didn't have much luck getting X to work. After a few other distros like some of the 'buntu's and slackware I decided to try it out again. Great distro here. I've had the few bugs here and there from my own mistakes, but now that I have everything up and running I'm quite happy with it and don't think I'll be changing again any time soon. I've learned alot about Linux from installing Arch and feel theres a lot more to learn but this is best best place so far to learn from. I love the simplicity yet almost unlimited choices I have available to me and that I can customize everything to fit my needs. Not to put down other distros but all of the ones I've used seem too clunky or use up alot of system resources or are just much to complicated to use. (ie. no package dependencies.) In fact the only other distro I liked close to this one was Crunchbang but I had system issues with it after a while and thought I'd once again try something new.I'm glad I did. It was a lot of fun setting my system up and now that I have and everythings tweaked the way I want it I couldn't be happier with my computer.

#745 2009-11-27 10:02:05

rlp10

Hi everyone--I'm hoping to join the Arch Linux community provided I can get my laptop working with it!

I've decided to join because I prefer to work with vim, LaTeX, elinks, python than any GUI program.  I figured Arch sounded like the right home for me.

I'm here to learn, and look forward to meeting people.

Richard

#746 2009-11-29 04:33:02

Nu Zalem

Hello everyone, I am Nu Zalem. I'm relatively new to Arch Linux and the way it works, but I am not new to Linux however. I previously used the Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu/Xubuntu, Sabayon distros but not a single one of them made me think and consult the documentation as much as Arch did after installing it. So far, I'm liking it. It's quick, it doesn't add anything you don't want...you all know the rest. I've been wanting to end the distro hopping for a while (and after being forced to use XP for a good portion of the year thanks to a few life circumstances) and Arch seems to be the distro that finally does it. Ciao.

#747 2009-11-29 08:06:16

jongkind

Also hello from my side. A week ago I read a good thread on the Ubuntu forums about Arch:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … ostcount=1

That intrigued me, and I decided to try Arch also. Now, after two days of learning while having a lot of fun I can describe Arch in two words: Excellent Distro! It feels very snappy and the fact that it is a rolling release appeals to me a lot, and at this moment everything is working the way as I like to have it working, so I definitely will stay for a while.

grtz, Herman

PS: This is a double post, elsewhere on this forum I wrote something similar, but I learned that this is the place to write these kind of testimonies smile.

#748 2009-11-29 18:09:15

Hiato

Greetings.

I probably can't add much to the truckloads of praise that have been given so far, but I can try anyway: Where would I be without Arch?

I've been reading these fora for a very long time, and I've been lurking in the shadows as a registered user for quite some time too - not posting because I always managed to find what I needed by either searching within these great forums on on the web, or by sheer trial and error. I learned so much that way. That being said, I've now decided to become a more, should I say, vocal member of the community that I do indeed value and hopefully, one day, I might contribute something back.

I wonder who reads these things anyway...

Hiato

#749 2009-12-01 06:26:19

jerusalem1
Website

Hello. I am Peter from the Philippines. I am linux gypsy. LOL

Last edited by jerusalem1 (2009-12-10 16:01:38)

#750 2009-12-01 13:15:39

cofficavic

Hello,

archlinux

Board footer