You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-23 20:54:09

Claytonian

Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 wireless woes...

I recently got this laptop and finally have a computer that I can dedicate to learning Linux/Arch on (I'm a PC gamer, so using Linux isn't exactly ideal, sadly).  I have everything that I absolutely need working.  Wired connections work.  Arch installed snag free the first time; no X problems, XFCE runs like a charm, sound works great through the internal speakers and even Xmoto runs great!  But, I would really like to get the wireless working.  It's not a problem to leave it hooked in to the router, since I'm usually at my desk anyways, but it would be a heck of a lot easier to use the wireless that it has built in so I can move around a bit.  I've installed the iwlwifi-3945-ucode package, and iwconfig tells me that the wireless is up and running (and yes, I did check the wireless switch on the front of the laptop).

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  
          Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

I've read multiple threads on this and I can't seem to get it up and running. mad
My network uses WPA1-Personal as it's security (I use DD-WRT).  I've messed with wpa_supplicant for a while, wicd, netcfg, etc.  Nothing is working.

I come here, begging before the awesome that is the Arch Linux community, for help.

This is the output that dhcpcd gives me, along with the commands I've been trying to use.

[clay@nnpp ~]$ sudo -i
Password: 
[root@nnpp ~]# wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf^C
[root@nnpp ~]# ifconfig wlan0 up
[root@nnpp ~]# wpa_passphrase "Allen" "********" > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
[root@nnpp ~]# wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
[root@nnpp ~]# dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd: version 5.1.3 starting
dhcpcd: wlan0: waiting for carrier
dhcpcd: timed out

Last edited by Claytonian (2009-11-23 20:54:50)

#2 2009-11-24 06:35:53

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 wireless woes...

Could you provide the output of:

sudo iwconfig

and

sudo iwlist scan

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2009-11-24 21:14:57

Claytonian

Re: Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 wireless woes...

I got it working.  For some reason, dicking around with the netcfg gui fixed it.  I didn't even connect to any networks with it though, but now, the above commands get me online.  big_smile  Now, I just need to make this in to a script that I can run.

Board footer