You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-16 05:06:30

themacmeister

ArchPPC and Slackintosh packages cross-compatible?

I have Slackintosh installed on my 14" iBook. It runs sweetly, but suffers from not many packages at all. I am unaware if it can build source packages from Slackware repositories.

Assuming that ArchPPC and Slackintosh use similar (or identical?) binary package structure, would it be possible to install ArchPPC packages on Slackintosh (12.1) ??

It would be fantastic if you could join forces, as Slackintosh 12.1 is the only distro I have tried that supports everything (including sleep/resume, lid close sleep, lid open resume, ALL hotkeys, sound, ethernet, airport+, 3D acceleration, touchpad tap, absolutely everything on initial install (I used the DVD with FULL install).

What Slackintosh is lacking is packages for just about everything not-KDE. They have the KDE thing covered, but I was looking for mplayer or VLC, and could find neither precompiled.

If I could install and use pacman with ArchPPC repositories, or even manually download packages and their dependencies - that could work right?

Anyway, I finally found a working link to the ftp.iso, so might try it out real soon.

#2 2009-11-18 13:50:26

DaNiMoTh

Re: ArchPPC and Slackintosh packages cross-compatible?

Slackintosh last log message is in 2008. We (archppc) are bootstrapping again all things, If you know someone that could help, please get him on archlinuxppc.org frontpage, and send an email to me to join in dev group.

Many thanks

=====

For your answer, I think it isn't possible, for many reason. You could recompile all slackintosh thing yourself, that is better than use mixed package ( you install archlinux package on a slackware distro? I don't ever seen nothing like this)

#3 2009-11-27 06:27:13

themacmeister

Slackintosh comes with rpm2tgz, which can obviously do what it says. I recently tried deb2tgz, which also worked well, so now I can use Fedora/SuSE RPMs, and Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu .debs. It would be utterly fantastic if you all had the same base install and headers, but I guess it is way too much to ask. Is the pacman package merely a folder containing the compiled source ready for copying? If this is the case, it is nearly identical to a Slackintosh package.

#4 2009-11-27 06:34:03

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I think this is a far shot here... Probably a different toolchain, and I hope you are aware that the .tgz 'format' Arch uses does not resemble the 'format' Slack uses - in any way. Yes, they're both tarballs, but that's where it stops.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer