You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-08 19:03:30

anamesa

limited choice of fonts in Sylpheed after upgrade gtk2-2.2.4

Hi all,

I'm using Archlinux since v.0.5 (Nova).  This is actually the first annoying problem I face. After upgrading via pacman -Su to gtk2-2.2.4-1 the day before yesterday, I lost the font I had as default in sylpheed 9.4 [preview pane & message editor]. I realized that no truetype font I had installed and which had been working previously shows in Sylpheed's menu -> configuration -> common preferences -> display tab -> fonts selection.  I had the ms truetype core fonts for the web installed, and these worked without any problem before.  I suspect this must be a gtk+ 1.2 problem, since every other gtk2 or qt application recognizes and uses these fonts from within fluxbox, which is my default wm.

Any clues? 

TIA,

--
anamesa

#2 2003-09-08 20:30:11

anamesa

Re: limited choice of fonts in Sylpheed after upgrade gtk2-2.2.4

[additional info]

Now that i look at it again [examined /var/cache/pacman/pkg], i see that together with gtk2 i upgraded freetype2 as well, from freetype2-2.1.4-1 to freetype2-2.1.4-2.  Examining the downloaded packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg, i found out that package for the first doesn't include freetype-config which gets installed by the second in /usr/X11R6/bin.  There are some differences between the two packages.  Should i revert to previous freetype2 & gtk2 packages that were installed on my system?

--
anamesa

#3 2003-09-09 19:17:13

anamesa

After a closer look in my truetype fonts directory, i realized that fonts.scale & fonts.dir had been empty.  These files were ok before, but it seems that somehow [through upgrade of either freetype2, gtk2 or xfree86 4.3.0] they had been changed. 

The reason was, that there was not an "encodings.dir" file inside this directory.  I copied the encodings.dir from encodings directory and run "ttmkfdir2 -o", and the fonts.scale was recreated and doubled in fonts.dir. So the fonts were installed again and now they are recognized by the gtk+1.2 apps.

--
anamesa

#4 2003-09-09 22:43:01

sarah31
Website

heh. glad i could help  tongue  good job! sometimes our inability to help is your best help wink

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer