You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-25 04:03:41

patrickthebold

xterm -e screen

I have a weird configuration problem with screen.  I want an xterm running screen to automatically start when I log in.  I do this by running xterm -e screen.  This is not a problem.  What is weird is that I have

screen -t files 1 vifm
screen -t log 2 tail -f /var/log/everything.log

in my .screenrc and this works fine if I open xterm then type screen, but if I run xterm -e screen vifm segfaults and the tail command just hangs with a blank screen.  Any ideas what could be going wrong?

#2 2009-11-25 06:05:32

chpln

Re: xterm -e screen

I've had all sorts of problems with 'xterm -e screen' in the past, and if I recall, ended up using a wrapper script to sleep before invoking screen.

I now use urxvt and have had no problems.  I would be suspecting xterm is the cause of the problem here too, but as to a elegant solution, I'm not sure.

#3 2009-11-25 08:52:47

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Just guessing - could it be an environment problem?

I.e. does the segfault occur only when you autostarted xterm -e screen? Or does it segfault as well when you called xterm -e screen from a running xterm?

In the former case xterm probably does not run in your usual environment but the one set up while running .xinit (or the like, depending how you start your DE/WM). I had problems of this kind running xterms from the IceWM command line which turned out to know of the old environment only.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2009-11-25 14:51:30

patrickthebold

bernarcher wrote:

Just guessing - could it be an environment problem?

I.e. does the segfault occur only when you autostarted xterm -e screen? Or does it segfault as well when you called xterm -e screen from a running xterm?

The same thing happens with autostart and calling xterm -e screen from a running xterm.  Maybe I'll give urxvt a try.

#5 2009-11-25 14:54:32

brisbin33
Website

you could also try this workaround, it's gotten me results in the past.

xterm -e bash -cl "screen"

if that doesn't work i also suggest urxvt.

#6 2009-11-28 01:03:57

patrickthebold

brisbin33 wrote:

you could also try this workaround, it's gotten me results in the past.

xterm -e bash -cl "screen"

if that doesn't work i also suggest urxvt.

That worked, Thanks!

Board footer