You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-27 09:22:25

drtoki

[solved] system lockout after attempting to enable KMS

I've been away from home for a couple months. When I came back I did a full system upgrade, restarted, and started poking around to see if anything broke. I couldn't find anything aside from the fact that the TTY display was twice as small and a few other font issues that were as far as I could tell, completely confined within my WM menus.
I figured this was due to the new KMS feature of Xorg. So I read the KMS section of the ATi wiki and followed all the steps in the "early start" section. It didn't specify which chipsets needed the "intel_agp" and which didn't (I have an r300), so I didn't include it.. just to see if it was necessary.
Then I rebooted and noticed udev was extremely slow to load- taking over 170000ms. Finally it reached my login screen. I don't have any fancy shmancy login GUI things, just a VT, but I found that the keyboard was not responding to any keystrokes. In fact all my keyboard lights were unlit. Likewise with my mouse.

Is this a side effect of KMS? Did this happen because I needed to include "intel_agp" in my MODULES array when I didn't?

But more importantly, how can I regain access to my system in order to fix this? sad

edit: r300 chipsets require "intel_agp" before "radeon" in the MODULES array.

Last edited by drtoki (2009-11-28 06:38:15)

#2 2009-11-27 12:15:30

Szelek

Re: [solved] system lockout after attempting to enable KMS

Try running arch from live media. Chroot to your installation and put intel_agp in the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
Here is how to do that http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_panic
I don't know if this is the problem, but You got nothing left to loose.

#3 2009-11-27 12:19:51

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

In the grub startup menu press "e" on the line which will boot your arch system. Then, on the "kernel" line, press "e" again. Append "3" (with a separating space) to this line, close the editor with the return key, and then have grub proceed with this boot command by pressing "b".

This will take you to the basic login prompt, where you can proceed.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2009-11-28 06:36:53

drtoki

I don't really understand the purpose nor meaning of the "3", but appending "3" to the kernel boot line didn't do anything for me unfortunately. I was looking for a way to fix this without using a live cd since it's really inconvenient for me to get another copy at the moment. But I guess not.
Thank you for your suggestions though.

Adding the "intel_agp" to the MODULES array solved every problem that occurred. UDev processing is back down to a nice 590ms and issues with my keyboard are eliminated.
There probably really should be a list of chipsets that require the "intel_agp" in the ATi wiki somewhere...

#5 2009-11-28 08:37:11

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

drtoki wrote:

I don't really understand the purpose nor meaning of the "3"

Appending "3" to the kernel boot line forces grub to boot into runlevel 3, i.e. boots to the console prompt. (No change of course if your system did so already.)

But you got there anyway. smile Good to see you solved the problem.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer