You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-09 12:43:52

tony

VidaLinux 1.1 – Gentoo Done Right

I see that nearly every day there is some discusion about why not to use Gentoo. Personaly myself I would say that freedom is the Linux and whoever decides to use whatever distribution should be respected.  Now Im getting to my point, today Ive read about Vidalinux at:

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=3321

and I would like to ask if someone here has any experience with it and if than what do you think about it.

Thank you.

#2 2005-02-09 17:09:04

oscar

Re: VidaLinux 1.1 – Gentoo Done Right

I think I will try it on my laptop this weekend smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#3 2005-02-09 18:21:53

miqorz

It's just a fancy installer for Gentoo.

At the end of the day. IT'S STILL GENTOO.

So I'm not interested in the least.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#4 2005-02-09 19:03:03

kill

Unlike gentoo wich is comunity driven Vidalinux is money driven. Its just another comercial distro that trys to get you to pay for something that is free. I don't have any problem donating to open source projects but I feel cheated things like gaim are presented as a pay only feature.  All this company has done is put red hat's installer on gentoo and then charge for it.

#5 2005-02-09 19:40:31

syamajala
Website

Its like a bunch of fedora users trying to mock the gentoo community.

#6 2005-02-09 20:27:52

Gullible Jones

Why use a GUI installer for anything? A chicken could use the Arch or Slackware installer... Why should VidaLinux use a bloated graphical one when a curses-based one could work just as well?

#7 2005-02-09 20:52:15

iBertus

Gullible Jones wrote:

Why use a GUI installer for anything? A chicken could use the Arch or Slackware installer... Why should VidaLinux use a bloated graphical one when a curses-based one could work just as well?

Simple. People that are coming over from the Windows world are used to graphical installers. These commercial Linux distros are not targeted at Linux pros (with the exception of RHEL and such) but instead new to moderately experienced users. Most of these people get really nervous when trying to use a text installer even if it's easy.

Plus, these people had to change something. Otherwise they would just be selling a Gentoo stage 3 install cd with a different logo on the cover.

#8 2005-02-09 20:55:05

iBertus

Just noticed the price: $30 for each architecture. So, I guess if you have an AMD and Intel box both sitting around the house you'd be out $60 to put pay versions on both. Doesn't seem like a good deal...

#9 2005-02-09 21:56:02

syamajala
Website

sounds like mandrake...

#10 2005-02-10 07:09:45

tony

First of all thanks for your responses. It sounded like now can anyone install Gentoo if they want to but don't know how to go through regular Gentoo instalation.

It's not free but on the other hand there is still possibilitie to download free iso for whatever architecture and after that use Gentoo's portage and emerge the rest of the apps. 

I may be mistaking but that's how I understood this.
I'm not leaving Arch because since we've met last year we became very good friends lol  I'm still learning but now I'm even enjoying it.  Finally here is the best comunity and actually the first and the only I've signed in.
lol  lol

#11 2005-02-17 16:09:49

tony

So I've tested it. This was the first time I would admit that I could use gnome. Was functioning great, fast and I didn't spot any bugs. On the other hand I was not able to install binary packages because I don't know proper commands for emerge so when I typed emerge firefox it downloaded sources and started to compile it. After more than 45 minutes I got bored and honestly I can't imagine to compile everything unless I'd have two comps.
So if someone is interested in Gentoo and wants to have easy installation this is the right choice. That puts me back to Arch and Gnome packages I tried to install six or seven times but allways with problems    :cry:

Result from newbie point of view Vida is the right choice for those who want tu use Gentoo but don't know how to install in Gentoo way.

#12 2005-02-17 16:39:28

oscar

tony wrote:

So I've tested it. This was the first time I would admit that I could use gnome. Was functioning great, fast and I didn't spot any bugs. On the other hand I was not able to install binary packages because I don't know proper commands for emerge so when I typed emerge firefox it downloaded sources and started to compile it. After more than 45 minutes I got bored and honestly I can't imagine to compile everything unless I'd have two comps.
So if someone is interested in Gentoo and wants to have easy installation this is the right choice. That puts me back to Arch and Gnome packages I tried to install six or seven times but allways with problems    :cry:

Result from newbie point of view Vida is the right choice for those who want tu use Gentoo but don't know how to install in Gentoo way.

I don't mean to starta flame war, but give the new KDE beta a serious try - I've been a gnome/xfce user for a long time, but these new betas are just simply great, and stable as a rock smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#13 2005-02-18 09:51:40

tony

Oscar I'm using KDE regularly and since I gave up win, Arch is the only operating system that runs in my comp. I mentioned GNOME cause I wanted to try it just to make my own opinion about it. I like to try different wm's or desktops and compare them for myself. On the other hand since Rensel has pointed me towards E17(Enlightenment) that he has created packages for I think this is going to be my favorite when its finished - thank you Rensel  lol
You should try it yourself and you'll see and experience what I'm truing to say  wink

#14 2005-02-18 09:52:41

tony

Oscar I'm using KDE regularly and since I gave up win, Arch is the only operating system that runs in my comp. I mentioned GNOME cause I wanted to try it just to make my own opinion about it. I like to try different wm's or desktops and compare them for myself. On the other hand since Rensel has pointed me towards E17(Enlightenment) that he has created packages for I think this is going to be my favorite when its finished - thank you Rensel  lol
You should try it yourself and you'll see and experience what I'm trying to say  wink

#15 2005-03-22 07:59:42

jaawood

tony wrote:

Cool deal.  My friend who runs gentoo is very new to it, and emerged openoffice, instead of openoffice-bin, for the binaries, and waited about 24 hours to compile the entire openoffice from source and still hadn't finished.  Luckily another one of my friends who knows a lot about gentoo came along and told him the right one to emerge.  Who knows how long it would have taken to compile it all.  I think that might be the same way with firefox, but I am not sure though.

Edit: Sorry about the month old bump.

#16 2005-03-23 00:37:25

Wubbeneezer

tony wrote:

I see that nearly every day there is some discusion about why not to use Gentoo. Personaly myself I would say that freedom is the Linux and whoever decides to use whatever distribution should be respected.  Now Im getting to my point, today Ive read about Vidalinux at:

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=3321

and I would like to ask if someone here has any experience with it and if than what do you think about it.

Thank you.

I have tried the latest VidaLinux and the earlier version. I consider myself very curious and open-minded when it comes to distros, having used RedHat/Fedora, various Debian offshoots (Mepis, Kanotix, Knoppix, Libranet, Agnula DeMudi, Ubuntu), Slackware, Gentoo, Arch, and a whole slew of live CDs.

I tried to install VidaLinux 1.0 but it kept hanging during install while unloading packages. This was on a machine where the Anaconda Fedora/RH installer has worked flawlessly every time I've installed (at least 5 or 6 times). I had checked MD5sums (fine) but could not get Vida to install on a machine that has never given me a Linux installation problem before. VidaLinux disk ended up in the trash.

I tried 1.1 soon after it was released. It installed fine but when I fired it up my DSL connection wasn't working. When I went to use the VidaLinux network configuration tool, X froze up (^ + alt + backspace didn't work), had to power the machine down. Tried it a couple more times and the same thing happened. At least this time I had the foresight to burn it onto a CD-RW (md5s were fine). In my opinion (and I'm sure there are people who've had great experiences with VidaLinux) I feel like it's not quite ready for primetime. I also think that installing Gentoo the "hard way" is a great learning experience...and it's really not that hard if you do a Stage 3/GRP install.

When all is said and done,
There's nothing left to say or do.

#17 2005-03-24 17:14:33

shaurz

iBertus wrote:
Gullible Jones wrote:

Simple. People that are coming over from the Windows world are used to graphical installers.

Have you ever installed Windows XP? The first stage is quite definitely text-based.

Board footer