You are not logged in.

#51 2009-11-17 14:27:53

grey

Re: hal 0.5.13-3 breaks volume mounting

@madalu: If going from <policy at_console="true"> to <policy at_console="false"> allows you to mount, then it looks like you don't have a consolekit session, despite running 'ck-launch-session openbox-session'. Which is very odd.

Could you check
1. if there is an entry for your user under /var/run/console/ (as JGC suggested earlier)
2. ps -ef |grep ck-launch-session

Edit: I'm not an expert, either, but the orthodox solution is exec ck-launch-session <your DE>. The fact that it doesn't work for you means that there's either a bug, or a misconfiguration, or both. Let's try to find out which.

Last edited by grey (2009-11-17 14:35:45)

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#52 2009-11-17 16:19:21

madalu

grey wrote:

@madalu: If going from <policy at_console="true"> to <policy at_console="false"> allows you to mount, then it looks like you don't have a consolekit session, despite running 'ck-launch-session openbox-session'. Which is very odd.

Could you check
1. if there is an entry for your user under /var/run/console/ (as JGC suggested earlier)
2. ps -ef |grep ck-launch-session

Thanks for your help. I can indeed confirm that I console-kit is not running (i.e., no user in /var/run/console/ and no ck-launch-session process).

I'm using slim with openbox and I have the following line at the end of my .xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session openbox-session

I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this.

#53 2009-11-17 16:51:34

grey

I've seen that before: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 10#p656110
There was nothing wrong in that .xinitrc from what I could see, and still consolekit wasn't starting. And KimTjik was also using slim - maybe there is a connection there. I'm almost tempted to install slim myself just to see where this is going.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#54 2009-11-18 12:40:03

iosonofabio

I'm not using any login manager like GDM and I'm starting the standard hal daemon at startup (this should also start dbus).

My WM is wmii. I resolved the issue by editing .xinitrc like suggested, i.e.:

exec ck-launch-session wmii

#55 2009-11-18 13:01:33

madalu

O.K. So I'm not sure what happened, but I reinstalled slim and everything is working fine now.

now properly launches consolekit and allows for gui mounting.

Thanks for all the help!

#56 2009-11-18 15:58:28

beepressure

Will exec ck-launch-session (any WM besides openbox) work?

#57 2009-11-18 16:10:48

grey

Yes. Or at least it should ....

#58 2009-11-18 16:35:49

antes

beepressure wrote:

I did it with lxde and now it's woking.
EDIT: fluxbox too

Last edited by antes (2009-11-18 20:04:25)

#59 2009-11-18 18:00:51

iosonofabio

beepressure wrote:

Please read my post above.

#60 2009-11-19 22:49:49

Lyceuhns

When i changed my login manager from SLIM to LXDM, nothing more get worked, just the 'ck-launch-session' works.

exec ck-launch-session startlxde

So ready to another update. o/

#61 2009-11-28 18:36:13

TheBodziO
Website

skipio wrote:

for console login:
after logging, 'ck-launch-session' will start a new consolekit instance, so automounting, etc should work there.

Yup, I know. It leaves me with checking in my profile script if ck-launch-session is running and starting it if not. Then if it is already running and halevt is not, I've got to start halevt (this is what i'm using). I must do the checks to avoid having couple of different sessions created for me as one user.

Having to use ck-launch-session is not much of a hassle if one is running x. But if one's running console and likes to use nice things like automatically mounting hotplugged disks and do it without writing some daemons/weaken security then there's a problem. Part of this problem is documentation or lack thereof :>.

I grant that gnu/linux is a moving target, with all the consequences of being such. I know it evolves and things like hal, udev, dbus, policykit are a systemic change, but isn't the target of this change and road to achievieng this target a bit blurry? I mean: does anyone have a broad vision of gnu/linux's future?

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#62 2009-11-29 00:04:05

jmdennis

I do not know if I have the same problem or not.  For me hal fails to start and thus I have not keyboard or mouse.  I am using a live cd of OpenSUSE to type this.  I can not see the find the directions to switch to a console while booting so that I can do some of these commands.  I had found it before but not now.

#63 2009-11-29 01:23:12

TheBodziO
Website

Ok. I've got it for the console smile. Though it starts separate session for each console login (but the login-session-id remains the same). Solution was to add "session optional pam_ck_connector.so" to "/etc/pam.d/login". Logging out of the consoles and logging in again will cause sessions to start. After that halevt mounts/unmounts removable drives properly both in console and x (that is pekwm started without ck-launch-session).

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#64 2009-12-03 10:31:44

karabaja4
Website

Okay, I'm sick and tired with HAL breaking automounting and defining various permissions in policykit / hal.conf, since I have no use of that whatsoever because I'm the only one using my computer. I'm gonna use hal-easy for now, and if that breaks anytime soon I'm removing HAL altogether.

I mean, the main purpose of HAL is to have options like that invisible, and not worry about mounting thing manually, but it's getting annoying with this permission mess. Last few months more than few times I had to search for a solution to mount my flash drive or CD.

I think HAL would be useless for me on laptop anyway. I'm thinking of compiling xorg without HAL and DBUS support, then make a few scripts to mount CD/DVD, USB drive, external drive and such manually, and run each accordingly. Would I miss on something else HAL has to offer?

#65 2009-12-04 19:27:41

slot

kokoko3k wrote:

--EDIT--
Nope, it doesn't; kdm3 doesn't seems to like it.
I ended up copying /opt/kde/bin/startkde to /opt/kde/bin/startkde.old
then edited startkde, removed anything and just wrote:

#!/bin/sh
exec ck-launch-session /opt/kde/bin/startkde.old

So, just wrapped it, and now i can mount again with kde3.

I tried that - but then it is impossible to login to the kde3 session - all passwords are invalid

Then I tried Hal-easy, but then x does not start sad

#66 2009-12-05 14:59:02

equilibrium
Website

Themaister wrote:

Consolekit has been a bit of a blackbox to me at least. It seems to me like a new policykit. How to you integrate consolekit with your setup, really? I couldn't find anything relevant on the Wiki. (Well, I found something that might ... tongue)
Is it as simple as having

in my .xinitrc rather than just exec openbox-session and the new hal would work with mounting again?

woo thanks smile

that fixed my problem wink

Archlinux x86_64 | Github | acer chromebook c7 (arch)

#67 2010-01-17 08:08:41

SilentSam

slot wrote:
kokoko3k wrote:

--EDIT--
Nope, it doesn't; kdm3 doesn't seems to like it.
I ended up copying /opt/kde/bin/startkde to /opt/kde/bin/startkde.old
then edited startkde, removed anything and just wrote:

#!/bin/sh
exec ck-launch-session /opt/kde/bin/startkde.old

So, just wrapped it, and now i can mount again with kde3.

I tried that - but then it is impossible to login to the kde3 session - all passwords are invalid

Then I tried Hal-easy, but then x does not start sad

did you remember to 'chmod a+x startkde' after you created the script? The wrapper won't execute otherwise.

Board footer