You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-09 17:50:04

aCoder
Website

gdesklets and xfce-4.2

I wanted gDesklets to start with xfce, and I also wanted to get rid of the panel, so I went ahead and killed the panel, started gDesklets, and logged out, electing to save my session.  When I started xfce again, no panel, but no gDesklets either.  I'm starting xfce with a startx, so I thought I'd try adding 'gdesklets' to my .xinitrc, but that had no effect.  xfce-session keeps a file in .cache representing the most recently saved session, so I took a look at it, and saw this near the end:

Client5_ClientId=117f000001000110796966500000070590000
Client5_Hostname=local/punkgoth
Client5_CloneCommand=/opt/gnome/bin/gdesklets,--sm-config-prefix,/gDesklets-2cQSfH/,start
Client5_CurrentDirectory=/
Client5_Program=gDesklets
Client5_RestartCommand=/opt/gnome/bin/gdesklets,--sm-config-prefix,/gDesklets-2cQSfH/,--sm-client-id,117f000001000110796966500000070590000,--screen,0,start
Client5_UserId=codera

PS: As I was typing this, I realized that for every other app in that file, _Program is the same as the command used to start it, so I'm going to try a symlink from /path/to/gDesklets to /path/to/gdesklets.

EDIT: The above didn't work, any help is appreciated.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#2 2005-02-09 23:49:48

skoal
Website

Re: gdesklets and xfce-4.2

Hmm.  I'm not doing the same as you are aCoder, but something similiar.

I got rid of the taskbar by killing it, saving the session and restarting.  It worked fine.  However, I'm still using "startxfce4", not "startx".

Why did you switch your xinit startup?

If you get this working, I might try the same thing you are.  I've been meaning to try out the "gdesklets" on XFCE myself.

#3 2005-02-10 00:04:19

stonecrest

Xfce will start up any programs that appear in ~/Desktop/Autostart. Instead of trying to get Xfce to save gdesklets (because it seems to be a strange little program), just do a

ln -s /path/to/gdesklets ~/Desktop/Autostart

Alternatively, you might want to write a small bash script that calls "gdesklets -restart", or whatever the command is, and put that *.sh file in the Autostart dir (just to ensure that you're not trying to load gdesklets twice).

I am a gated community.

#4 2005-02-10 00:12:28

aCoder
Website

Xfce will start up any programs that appear in ~/Desktop/Autostart.

Well, that seemed to work.  Thanks.

However, I'm still using "startxfce4", not "startx".

Why did you switch your xinit startup?

I run 'startx', but that really just starts X and runs .xinitrc.  My .xinitrc looks like this:

exec startxfce4

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

Board footer