You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-09 09:52:06

bauerber

gnome-volume-manager freezes xfce4 on logout

Hi there,

I configured gnome-volume-manager to automatically mount drives (esp. usbsticks and so on) and it is working quite smoothly.
But one side effect is bothering me a little:
As suggested in a gnome-volume-manager HowTo, the volume manager is loaded on startx in the following form

<.xinitrc>
exec startxfce4 & exec gnome-volume-manager
</.xinitrc>

as soon as I try to quit my Xfce session the session hangs and will not terminate properly, i.e. logfoff-screen appears but session is not ended.
I waited for quite a while (about an hour  :shock: )...
As I didn't change too much over the last few days, I quickly found out that the gnome-volume-manager is the culprit. As soon as the 'exec gnome-volume-manager' part is removed, Xfce will shut down normally.

Has anyone else encountered this side effect? Is there a solution?

Greez and Thx

Bernhard

#2 2005-02-09 10:32:49

Pajaro

Re: gnome-volume-manager freezes xfce4 on logout

I was experiencing with hal and automonting. Finally I found ivman:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=65955

You can configure it to do everything gnome-volume-manager does, and much more.

#3 2005-02-09 10:38:24

bauerber

aah!

So the Problem is hal and not the gnome-volume-manager...

#4 2005-02-09 11:03:37

JGC
Developer

I wouldn't start gnome-volume-manager that way, I would configure xfce4 to add gnome-volume-manager to the session when it starts up. Putting it in your .xinitrc makes xfce4 unaware of gnome-volume-manager.

#5 2005-02-09 12:45:57

bauerber

JGC wrote:

I wouldn't start gnome-volume-manager that way, I would configure xfce4 to add gnome-volume-manager to the session when it starts up. Putting it in your .xinitrc makes xfce4 unaware of gnome-volume-manager.

Sounds logical.
It was the way described in the HOwTo, though. That's why I started the volume-manager like this. I would have preferred a more general approach, starting the gnome-volume-manager someplace more general (and not separately for each user)

I guess the correct place would be somewhere in ~/.config/xfce4??
I would have thought maybe the xinitrc that resides there... (Maybe along with xftaskbar4...)
Or is there a more suitable file??

Greez

bernhard

#6 2005-02-09 15:46:43

Pajaro

So the Problem is hal and not the gnome-volume-manager...

No, the problem is not hal: Both gnome-volume-manager and ivman manage automonting communicating with hal. Hal has nothing to do with your issue.

I just recomend you to use ivman instead of gnome-volume-manager for these main reasons:
- ivman runs daemonized. Your devices will allways automount. You don't need to be in a desktop environment.
- ivman is capable of anything, gnome-volume-manager just does what it is programmed for.

#7 2005-02-09 17:16:16

bauerber

Pajaro wrote:

- ivman runs daemonized. Your devices will allways automount. You don't need to be in a desktop environment.

That sounds quite good! But there's no pacman-package yet, is there?

Greez

Bernhard

#8 2005-02-09 23:01:13

Pajaro

in the post i linked in the first post you can find the PKGBUILD and the rc.d file

just create a folder, create the the two files (copy pasting) and d then run "makepkg -ci" in the console in the same folder where you have put the two files.

On the other hnd, I think there won't pass many since the package appears in the repos, as I've already done the PKGBUILD.

#9 2005-02-10 14:30:06

bauerber

I suppose I'll switch whenever ivman is available for pacman.
After working in front of a computer all day, I just cannot be bothered to compile (and later an maintain) packages for myself...
Meanwhile I worked around the problem by putting a small shell script into my Autostart folder...

Thx!

Bernhard

Board footer