You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-01 23:15:07

Chargaff

Is Archlinux for me ? I think so

Hi,

I'm really thinking of moving my computers to Arch. Starting with a test laptop and then, if I'm happy with how things go, my workstations. Why ?

1- From what I've read so far, I really like the philosophy behind this OS. Archlinux meaning of simplicity is very clever.
2- I'm fed'up with developers putting lot's of effort in "newbie friendliness" and making very questionable decisions.
3- I'm fed'up  with user communities that don't wan't to know how, and don't care about it.
4- Sick of the never ending Windows vs Linux war on the Ubuntu forums...
5- I'd like to have an OS that I can configure from the bottom.
6- I'd like to contribute to an Open Source OS that doesn't target "ease of use" above everything else.
7- I wan't to have the feeling that I have complete control over my machines. It seems like I've lost it in the last few years...
7- I find the Archlinux logo awsome cool

Ok, about me now :

I have 10 years of "just Linux" computing. Used mainly Debian, RedHat and Ubuntu. Installed a lot of stuff by hand and from source. Recompiled the kernel a few times. I love Linux in general, but I'm looking for something else, in the Linux world of course... I'm not a programmer but I've started to learn a bit of Python.

So the question asked in the subject : Is Archlinux for me ? Why would I chose Arch instead of Slackware or Debian ? And what would be the learning curve like ? Does Arch "shortens" the life of a computer since you have to do lots of compiling ? This last question sounds a bit silly but I wanted to ask anyway... 

I really feel that Arch would be a great choice for me but I'd like to hear experienced users on theses questions.

Ciao and thanx for your time !

Last edited by Chargaff (2009-12-01 23:29:07)

#2 2009-12-01 23:23:28

Skripka

Re: Is Archlinux for me ? I think so

You don't "have" to do lots of compiling.

Give it a go I say.

#3 2009-12-01 23:37:02

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Is Archlinux for me ?

Well, there's one way to find out!

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

#4 2009-12-02 00:43:00

Stythys
Website

I just have to reinforce your third point a bit...arch's community really is awesome.

you won't be disappoint big_smile

oh, and yeah, not sure what you mean by the compiling comment. arch's repos are binary. we're not gentoo tongue. But again, if you want to...arch's source-building system is one of the best big_smile

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#5 2009-12-02 00:50:42

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Chargaff wrote:

6- I'd like to contribute to an Open Source OS that doesn't target "ease of use" above everything else.

That depends on the target user base. ArchLinux does, at least from my perspective, focus on ease of use for power users. If you want a difficult distro, I suggest Linux From Scratch. Some might suggest Slackware. I have never used that and can not judge it.

Ciao. cool

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#6 2009-12-02 01:33:59

egan

fsckd wrote:
Chargaff wrote:

That depends on the target user base. ArchLinux does, at least from my perspective, focus on ease of use for power users. If you want a difficult distro, I suggest Linux From Scratch. Some might suggest Slackware. I have never used that and can not judge it.

Ciao. cool

He is putting ease-of-use in quotes. "Ease-of-use" and ease-of-use are two very different things. The reason I love Arch is its ease-of-use. The reason I left Ubuntu was its "ease-of-use".

#7 2009-12-02 01:49:25

Chargaff

Thanks for your replies !

egan, you are right about the "ease of use" of Ubuntu. If Arch target ease of use for competent user, great. This is, I think, what I need !

I liked what I've read so far and Archlinux is already installing on my test laptop.

I don't know why my brain made a link between Arch and compiling... Maybe some bad hard links between my neurons made me mix Arch and Gentoo... hmm

#8 2009-12-02 01:57:24

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Great! I love being wrong when it turns out for the better. big_smile

(My comment was half in jest anyways.)

Last edited by fsckd (2009-12-02 01:58:01)

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#9 2009-12-02 02:55:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Well, I'd presume that Archlinux would only be for you if you could count beyond 7..... =p

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2009-12-02 03:12:39

Chargaff

ngoonee wrote:

Well, I'd presume that Archlinux would only be for you if you could count beyond 7..... =p

lol

Funny... Let me try once again... 1-2-3-4-5-6-7...7 ? mmm... But you know what, I should be ok, the "Official Arch Linux Install Guide" goes from 1 to 5.2 tongue

#11 2009-12-02 03:55:07

teknistmajjan

Hello there.

I have been in your situation myself. I have mainly been using FreeBSD besides Windows, tried out a few other dists like fedora, debian, gentoo, slack etc.

About two months ago i had a problem with Win 7 on my desktop and descided that enough is enough and installed Ubuntu on it insteed. Reason for it being Ubuntu was that i needed a fast working system for schoolwork that i didnt want to do on my Thinkpad.

Anyway so i started using it and i really did enjoy it, i actually still have it on this computer. For a week or so more then i will change it to Arch.

I tried out arch the same week as ubuntu but i played around with arch on the Thinkpad. I am so impressed. It is a fantastic system to be operating. It uses so minimal of your resources, i know exactly what is in and on it, if i want to fix something and dont know how there is actually a community with what i would like to call REAL PEOPLE, which Ubuntu doesnt have.

Just saying, give it a try and i am sure you will fall in love, I did.

#12 2009-12-02 07:25:35

Gen2ly
Website

A lot of your decision will have to do with how much time you have.  It's less about what your fed up with and more about what you want to do.  There are times in Arch where there is nothing there and you are going to have to figure it out yourself.  As the Beginners' Guide say, "Arch does not hold your hand".  That said, I think the people here are great about trying to help out.  If you need something to just work, there's nothing wrong with Ubuntu, though you may have to tread softly in the forums wink.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#13 2009-12-02 07:35:12

piffey

I'd have to agree with Gen2ly. I started with Arch three months ago and have since converted all of my computers over to a strictly Arch setup. Arch definitely does not hold your hand. I have used Slackware and Ubuntu over the last 8 years between the two and while I have had more frustrating nights with Arch I have also learned more than I ever have before. The Arch community has an amazing knowledge base that allows for learning for both the beginner and the advanced user. I was surprised at how much Arch taught me. That being said -- jump in, have fun, check out if it isn't for you.

#14 2009-12-02 08:53:48

uwinkelvos

points 1 to 7 strongly suggest to try arch and point 7 forces you to do so! smile I can't speak about Slackware, as i barely used it, but i do know that not like debian's whole dpkg/apt stuff. Slow and comlicated!
Arch somehow forces you to "learn", but imho also provides the best tools to do so. In fact Arch does not hold your hand but extends its hand to you, when you need it. Yeah ... i am still speaking about linux! smile In the last year i moved my notebook, my pc and verey recnetly my server from ubuntu to arch and did not regret it for a second.

#15 2009-12-02 09:05:31

mikesd
Website

I agree with Gen2ly's comments. It's a give and take situation. You trade a little bit of extra time while you are getting used to Arch Linux and setting things up with the much greater understanding of Linux that you will have down the track due to tinkering under the hood more.

You sound like an excellent candidate for Arch Linux though the best way to find out is just install it and run with it. You'll soon find out if it's for you.

Board footer