You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-26 09:46:44

zowki
Website

Goggles Music Manager unicode support and album artists browsing

Hi,
I just installed Goggles music manager and I have 2 questions:

Does Goggles Music Manager have support for Unicode characters? Japanese characters appear as squares.
How do I change the Artist panel to Album Artists?

Thanks in advance

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#2 2009-11-26 15:45:21

GogglesGuy
Website

Re: Goggles Music Manager unicode support and album artists browsing

zowki wrote:

Hi,
I just installed Goggles music manager and I have 2 questions:

Does Goggles Music Manager have support for Unicode characters? Japanese characters appear as squares.

You need to change the font in the preferences panel to one that supports Japanese characters.The squares indicate it doesn't support that particular character.

zowki wrote:

How do I change the Artist panel to Album Artists?

It already shows only Album Artists. The per-track artists are not listed there.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-11-26 15:47:39)

#3 2009-12-02 14:11:19

zowki
Website

Thanks! I chose the font "Simhei" and it worked (though it looks ugly when displaying English). Does gmm use GTK? How can I make it use my gtk theme?

Last edited by zowki (2009-12-02 14:15:04)

#4 2009-12-02 16:02:21

GogglesGuy
Website

zowki wrote:

Thanks! I chose the font "Simhei" and it worked (though it looks ugly when displaying English). Does gmm use GTK? How can I make it use my gtk theme?

GMM uses fox (www.fox-toolkit.org) and doesn't support theming (except for the color scheme). I have been working on updating the look and feel for the next version (http://www.fifthplanet.net/2009/07/gogg … tures.html). For the font you may just have to google around and see which one has the best combination of english and japanese.

#5 2009-12-02 23:55:25

zowki
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:
zowki wrote:

GMM uses fox (www.fox-toolkit.org) and doesn't support theming (except for the color scheme). I have been working on updating the look and feel for the next version (http://www.fifthplanet.net/2009/07/gogg … tures.html). For the font you may just have to google around and see which one has the best combination of english and japanese.

Are there other music managers with similar features but use GTK theming?

#6 2009-12-03 01:39:44

sand_man

zowki wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:
zowki wrote:

Are there other music managers with similar features but use GTK theming?

You're asking GogglesGuy to recommend another music manager other than the one he has worked so hard on just because it doesn't support theming?

neutral

#7 2009-12-03 04:02:46

zowki
Website

My apologies goggles guy, I wasn't asking specifically you but the Arch Linux forums members. It just does not suit me because I'm being forced to use a font that doesnt look good when displaying English just so I view Japanese characters and also not having GTK theming. Otherwise it is a wonderful music manager, especially how it can organize my music by album artist. Thank you for your understanding.

#8 2009-12-03 13:53:38

Surgat_

You can always use Rhythmbox, Exaile or Banshee, but they are not as light as GMM.

#9 2009-12-03 14:25:09

zowki
Website

Surgat_ wrote:

You can always use Rhythmbox, Exaile or Banshee, but they are not as light as GMM.

Ok, I'll investigate. Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT:
The winner turned out to be a very unlikely candidate: moc (Music on console)
I'm an extremely picky person when it comes to managing my library so the only way to achieve what I want is to sort my library by the directory structure which is exactly what moc does. Its even lighter than any GUI music manager could ever be and is entirely controllable with the keyboard.

Last edited by zowki (2009-12-04 02:07:26)

Board footer