You are not logged in.

#101 2009-10-26 11:48:22

LonelyStar

Re: PyTyle: Manual tiling manager for EWMH compliant WM's

At least I can not find the features on the wiki:

But let me make my Ideas a little clearer:

- With keys for splitting vertical and horizontal, I mean not, that the whole screen can be split vertical or horizontal, but that I can "subdivide" a already split part of the screen further to my liking.

- With "resize to free area" I mean, that without touching any window but the focused one, it is fit as good as possible into the free scree area.

Regards,
Nathan

#102 2009-10-30 14:36:05

cephalopoid

BurntSushi wrote:

@cephalopoid - I haven't forgotten about you, just been very busy lately!

Thanks for keeping me in mind. smile
I have a very busy time doing things for school, too, so I didn't have the time to figure out pytyle myself.

I had some ideas myself while using it.
Here is one of them:

i.e.

Gimp is on the ignore list by default, but I was thinking of another idea: app-specific settings. Letting pytyle recognise apps like it already does with the ignore list, then letting pytyle tyle the apps a specific way, while ignoring other apps.
Let's say you have 3 xterm windows tiled up nicely with pytyle, and you want to run something like gimp on the same screen.
Then pytyle leaves xterm tiled like it was, but also tiles gimp a specific way, which can be specified in conf files or be switched on-the-fly with what is ctrl-z by default now.

I hope you understand my idea.
It's not that I need it myself now, but I just came up with it.

#103 2009-10-30 15:44:16

nephish99

Hey, great work on pytyle,
just made openbox my new favorite tiling wm.

#104 2009-11-02 04:26:21

anonymous_user

@BurntSushi - thanks for pytyle. I really like how I can keep a floating wm (Openbox) and still experiment with a tiling wm.

Now if only I had a larger screen big_smile

Last edited by anonymous_user (2009-11-02 04:26:30)

#105 2009-11-03 23:48:15

will1911a1

Great program.  I'm using it with Openbox as well and I really like it.

#106 2009-11-11 21:18:12

the_isz

I've tried to dive into the world of tiling wm's for a while now but have never
quite got the clue about it. Something was always nagging me about these things,
be it the necessity to learn a programming language to configure them,
installing a huge library to run them (XMonad) or whatever else.

PyTyle, however, seems to intergrate perfectly into my Openbox habits: I get
tiling when and if I want it and otherwise I just have the window manager I
want.

Absolutely great work, I think I'll use this for a while!

#107 2009-11-11 21:21:21

brisbin33
Website

the_isz wrote:

installing a huge library to run them (XMonad)

just wanted to clarify this point.  you only need to install ghc to compile XMonad, not run it.  once you're done customizing (and compiling) your xmonad.hs file, you can safely remove this zomg huge library.

carry on smile.

#108 2009-11-12 06:51:21

the_isz

brisbin33 wrote:

just wanted to clarify this point.  you only need to install ghc to compile XMonad, not run it.  once you're done customizing (and compiling) your xmonad.hs file, you can safely remove this zomg huge library.

carry on smile.

Hmmm... a look at this
shows that ghc is a direct dependency of xmonad, so everytime I'd do a 'pacman
-Syu' it would get reinstalled, right?

Still, thanks for the clarification, brisbin33.

#109 2009-11-22 00:48:52

q0tsa

First, I wann say thank you for this great piece of software. For me it's the perfect combination of tiling and floating. (I use it with openbox)

The only problem I have is when I plug in my external monitor, and activate it using xrandr, pytyle from then on ignores the panel on the first monitor. (xfce-panel) It gives the windows the maximum height and the window decorations are hidden under the panel.

Screenshot

edit:
Argh, silly me, I just didn't set Config.WORKAREA as described in the wiki. So, everything fine.

Last edited by q0tsa (2009-11-22 01:08:48)

#110 2009-11-24 21:38:48

cl10k

Hi, thank you very much for Pytyle! I use it under Openbox and it's a great little tool!

cl10k :-)

#111 2009-12-03 21:58:46

guisacouto

I just have to say this is so f*cking great!!! I'm completely amazed with this... I was starting to consider a tiling WM, because tiling is really great when you are programing and need to be working with more than one source at a time, but with this theres no need to abandone openbox:D!

really great job I have to say!

best regards

#112 2009-12-04 14:46:59

Tyriel
Website

Just tried this out and I have to say thank you very much.  For the first time I have tiling windows in KDE and I am loving it!  Keep up the great work.

The software required Windows XP or better, so I installed archlinux.

#113 2009-12-08 11:32:52

spupy

Very nice program.
I have one question. In the config file this is mentioned:

# The configuration is pretty straight-forward. See the commented out example
# for a sample. (Which will create even margins around the tiling windows
# for two screens. It's actually kind of neat looking. Try it.)

This is about margins from the edge of the screen. Is there a way to have margins between the windows as well?

There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023.

#114 2009-12-09 22:50:39

BurntSushi
Website

spupy wrote:

Very nice program.
I have one question. In the config file this is mentioned:

# The configuration is pretty straight-forward. See the commented out example
# for a sample. (Which will create even margins around the tiling windows
# for two screens. It's actually kind of neat looking. Try it.)

This is about margins from the edge of the screen. Is there a way to have margins between the windows as well?

Hmmm, no, not currently.

I've been really busy this semester, but my break is coming up soon, so I'll try to get this and a few of the other requests in this thread implemented.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#115 2010-01-07 05:42:52

passbe
Website

Does pytyle support extra keys such as

'XF86Launch4': 'tile.default',

Once i changed the default config file it stopped working and spat out

X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadAccess'>: code = 10, resource_id = 322, sequence_number = 18, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0
X protocol error:
<class 'Xlib.error.BadValue'>: code = 2, resource_id = 32784, sequence_number = 19, major_opcode = 33, minor_opcode = 0

Otherwise perfect software, exactly what i was looking for.

#116 2010-01-07 16:04:53

BurntSushi
Website

@passbe

In theory, you should be able to. Specifically, see this page:

http://python-xlib.svn.sourceforge.net/ … iew=markup

You'll notice, that for instance, if you want to bind the calculator key, you see the variable name: "XK_XF86_Calculator". But in PyTyle, you should drop the preceding "XK_" and just use "XF86_Calculator" in your key binding. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work, but maybe you'll have more luck. (You might also want to try dropping the "XF86_" prefix too, but I suspect you need that.)

Also, make sure that the key isn't already bound by something else (like your window/desktop manager).

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

#117 2010-01-11 02:43:31

m4co
Website

My goodness! And I thought about leaving openbox to try a tile wm, but didn't want to leave rc.xml that I love it smile

You did a really great job BurntSushi !! kudos for you!

Running pytyle on the terminal once and I got very excited with the result.

I won't post my questions yet until I play around with pytylerc + rc.xml . Imagine the possibilities big_smile

OT: This also made me like python even more. The language is nice (django..) and everything written in python rocks!

Don't panic !

#118 2010-01-11 03:03:59

BurntSushi
Website

m4co wrote:

My goodness! And I thought about leaving openbox to try a tile wm, but didn't want to leave rc.xml that I love it smile

You did a really great job BurntSushi !! kudos for you!

Running pytyle on the terminal once and I got very excited with the result.

I won't post my questions yet until I play around with pytylerc + rc.xml . Imagine the possibilities big_smile

OT: This also made me like python even more. The language is nice (django..) and everything written in python rocks!

Thanks for the comments. If you're ever interested in Xlib programming, then check out PyTyle's source--I heavily documented it. (And I provided some goto web sites... Somewhere. Whether in the code, release notes, or on my wiki, I'm not sure.)

I agree with you about Python--this was my first program in Python and it was quite enjoyable!

#119 2010-01-11 13:39:01

m4co
Website

Nice, so now for my questions:

- Global tiling must be set to True in order to work? When it's false (default) the tile didn't work here

- Is there a way to not force the windows to start maximized when I open them? Say I open Thunar, it will maximize to occupy the whole screen, then I open another one and it starts splitting and tiling. Can it start at normal size and only then when it tiles change sizes when necessary?

In this case I think the tiling is doing the normal behavior and I'm the one not used to it smile

Maybe if i force the window size in rc.xml (openbox) for Thunar could fix it.

- Love the Alt + Z shortcut btw! big_smile

Last edited by m4co (2010-01-11 13:39:46)

Don't panic !

#120 2010-01-11 17:59:31

BurntSushi
Website

m4co wrote:

Global tiling must be set to True in order to work? When it's false (default) the tile didn't work here

Hmmm, no. That is odd. I never have global tiling enabled.

Are you sure you're issuing a "tile" command? (By default, it's Alt + a.)

m4co wrote:

Is there a way to not force the windows to start maximized when I open them? Say I open Thunar, it will maximize to occupy the whole screen, then I open another one and it starts splitting and tiling. Can it start at normal size and only then when it tiles change sizes when necessary?

In this case I think the tiling is doing the normal behavior and I'm the one not used to it smile

There isn't any way to currently do that--although it should be possible for you to modify (or create your own) the layout to only tile when there is more than one window. Although, you might need to do some extra work, because what happens when there are two windows and one is closed? (Have you tried the Cascade layout yet? It starts with a smaller sized window--of course, additional windows are cascaded behind it, but you might pick up after the first window and initiate normal tiling.)

You're right that simply maximizing the window is normal behavior.

I think the best thing you can do is simply disable global tiling--since you don't want tiling to be operating 100% of the time (this is one of the main features of PyTyle; that it allows tiling only when you need it and doesn't force it upon you). Once you open up two windows, you can initiate tiling with Alt + a.

Of course, if that really isn't working... Then that's going to cause problems. But it should be. If it isn't, trying running "pytyle" straight from the command line (making sure any other instance of PyTyle is not running), with "global_tiling" set to false. Open a few windows and issue the tile command--if it doesn't work, there should be an error. Copy and paste that here, and I'll see what I can do. Although this strikes me as a very weird error, and I'm really hoping you just forgot to hit Alt + a! smile

m4co wrote:

Maybe if i force the window size in rc.xml (openbox) for Thunar could fix it.

I have to recommend against that. At best case, PyTyle will override your Openbox settings, and at worse case, you'll have unpredictable results.

#121 2010-01-11 19:35:21

m4co
Website

You are correct, I haven't issued Alt + A.

The reason for this is that after installing it I ran pytyle from a terminal for the first time just to see how it works.
Then it already worked without hitting Alt + A or playing with the configuration file.

After rebooting the tiling wasn't "working". I guess this time it's because I have a pytylerc being loaded, so I though I had to set global_titling to true. Now I've set it back to false and call using Alt + A. Much better this way big_smile

I think this will do for now since it doesn't start maximized. Thanks !

Don't panic !

#122 2010-01-12 15:33:19

3])

Took me a while to figure out how it works.
The OP needs to include http://pytyle.com/wiki/Configuration as a section to visit.

Really helps "organize" your desktop. roll

Loving the software, already voted YES in the AUR.

“There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”-- C.A.R. Hoare

#123 2010-01-12 16:35:54

spupy

I have a feature request for a keybinding that seems handy. Is it possible to have an alternative to Alt-U (untile), that stops tiling, but does not return the windows to their original sizes and positions? This is useful when you want to arrange several windows as tiled, then continue working normal with floating windows.

(I can make this change for myself, but maybe other people will find it useful as well.)

Last edited by spupy (2010-01-14 19:45:30)

There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023.

#124 2010-01-20 13:29:38

cl10k

EDIT: Forget that - I found it!

Last edited by cl10k (2010-01-20 13:38:38)

#125 2010-02-06 01:52:09

megajosh2

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I saw a comment in the configuration file mentioning the use of borders like XMonad. Using xprop, I noticed that in Fluxbox (and probably Openbox or any other *box) that when the window decorations changed, the _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS(CARDINAL) property would change.  If a window had no decoration, _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS would be set to 0, 0, 0, 0.  If the window just had a 1 pixel border, it was set to 1, 1, 1, 1 instead.  Normally, for my theme anyway, it's set to this (directly from the output of xprop):

_NET_FRAME_EXTENTS(CARDINAL) = 1, 1, 17, 4

Setting the property to 1, 1, 1, 1 is a simple solution for doing this in window managers similar to Openbox. I don't know if it's theme dependent or not, though.

Last edited by megajosh2 (2010-02-06 01:52:53)

Board footer