You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-10 04:25:06

strawman

can i do alternate kernel during install?

hi all,
i want to install arch on a new HD but my laptop requires the kernel26mm.  is there a way during the ftp process to install that kernel instead of the stock kernel?

#2 2005-02-10 15:38:59

jerem

Re: can i do alternate kernel during install?

No. I think kernel26mm is not on the full arch iso. you ill have to download it yourself.

That's annoying that arch full iso is filled with some parts of useless software instead of useful kernel modules or other kernel versions.

For example, the Centrino laptops, which are incredibly popular and now widely used, use the ipw2100 module, which is not on the installation CD...

I need to connect from a friend's computer with the ethernet cable, install Arch, then pacman -Syu, compile my own kernel (hotplug takes too long loading hundreds of non-used modules), run abs, build my own ipw2100 package(the one provided is only for stock kernel which uses borin' fuckin' LOCALVERSION var), then manually load ipw2100 module and then I must configure my whole system.

Boring, isn't it ?

If only Arch's install cd included such modules, life would be easier for lots of people...

#3 2005-02-10 15:43:52

miqorz

Isn't there an option to compile your own kernel during the install? It's been a while since I've installed and I've only done it once.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#4 2005-02-10 17:24:11

jerem

Yes you can but last time I tried I could not configure it MY way, ie some options you cannot disable or enable and so on.

#5 2005-02-10 23:47:54

sarah31
Website

jerem wrote:

That's annoying that arch full iso is filled with some parts of useless software instead of useful kernel modules or other kernel versions.

For example, the Centrino laptops, which are incredibly popular and now widely used, use the ipw2100 module, which is not on the installation CD...

Um useless to you maybe but to others it is not useless. If you want changes in the install kernel then I strongly suggest you submit a feature request. Often modules will not be activated unless the developer KNOW that users need them. If you don't have the hardware and do not pay attention to what is common on the marketplace these days then you can easily forget to add such features.

Don't get mad and complain focus it into something productive wink

If only Arch's install cd included such modules, life would be easier for lots of people...

I don't know how long I requested pppoe packages on the install disc. I don't know if they have put them on there yet either. So I do know what you are talking about it but I do understand why they don't end up on the disc. All I could do was keep asking and one of these days they will wise up and put it on there.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2005-02-11 00:10:24

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

jerem wrote:

I have tried pushing for many wireless dirvers on the install CD, but it just isn't needed - the thing is, wireless is too unreliable right now to be the only thing on a laptop... hell my cordless phone kills my wireless connection when it rings....

also,
if ipw2100 is included, you'd alos have to have ipw2200, madwifi, wlan-ng, atheros, ndiswrapper (and the crap that comes along with ndiswrapper) and a whole mess of others in order to satisfy everyone

#7 2005-02-11 03:03:25

strawman

well i ended up installing the stock kernel anyways, removing it once the system was up and running and then installing kernel26mm.
now my sound works and the hotplug daemon works with kernel26mm ( the mm stands for multi-media i presume). whereas before hotplug would crash my hardware.
i'm ejoying Arch! big_smile

#8 2005-02-11 06:03:05

sarah31
Website

strawman wrote:

well i ended up installing the stock kernel anyways, removing it once the system was up and running and then installing kernel26mm.
now my sound works and the hotplug daemon works with kernel26mm ( the mm stands for multi-media i presume). whereas before hotplug would crash my hardware.

I still say file a feature request anyway. Unreliable or  not at least you would have a chance of getting it up and running as opposed to fighting a frustrating battle (like i had to for pppoe on my former i586 Arch box).

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#9 2005-02-11 06:09:42

miqorz

strawman wrote:

mm has nothing to do with multimedia..

The -mm patches are a set of patches, released by Andrew Morton, against the official kernel series. They are frequently more experimental in nature than the official series.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

Board footer