You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-30 02:49:24

donallen

Boot-time chatter

When the system boots, there's chatter from the kernel that flies by on the screen, but also gets recorded in /var/log/messages for inspection after-the-fact. There's also chatter from the system initialization scripts (that mount filesystems, start daemons, etc.). I'm not aware of where that gets logged, if it does. Sometimes error messages appear, but are difficult to read as the system boots and it would be great to be able to go to a log file to read them. Can someone point me to the appropriate log file, if this stuff does get logged? If it doesn't, I'd be curious to know why.

Thanks --
/Don Allen

#2 2009-11-30 02:55:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Boot-time chatter

There is an entry on the Wiki that may help you out:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pos … ot_Process

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2009-11-30 12:37:00

donallen

Thanks -- that's a partial solution. I say "partial" because, of course, text of interest can scroll off the top. Another possible aid here is xoff/xon (ctrl-s/ctrl-q), the flow-control characters. They appear to work in this situation, assuming you issue the ctrl-s in time. Probably the combination of your suggestion and this will be sufficient.

I looked at the scripts referred to by inittab, and while I didn't study them carefully, it appears at first glance that this output is not logged, and the bit of documentation you referred me to seems to confirm that, by omission. I'm puzzled that this appears to be the case.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

/Don

#4 2009-12-04 15:54:39

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

File a feature request on the tracker. You should be able to modify /etc/rc.d/functions to do this, or make something in functions.d to override the default ones. Submit the patch and it probably will be accepted if it works and is flexible, and if not you can still put it up on the wiki.

#5 2009-12-04 16:51:21

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer