You are not logged in.

#51 2005-02-11 00:05:24

thegnu
Website

Re: how much do you like archlinux?

InfernalH wrote:

Cdroms, IMHO, should be added to fstab config automatically.

I don't know how big into hardware you are, but are you sure the drives are jumpered correctly?  Try updating the BIOS maybe.  That's funky.

fffft!

#52 2005-02-11 00:31:59

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

InfernalH wrote:

I'm for graphical installer, because I haven't seen text based installer working with creating/editing partitions as good as graphical ones.

Umm, sorry, but that has nothing to do with graphics... I could make you a text based installer that holds your hand and asks all these questions until eventually you get it perfect.

The problem is that it's easier for people who are used to fedora/suse/mandrake and the ilk to conceptualize "i click here and this happens" when installing something.  yet there's no real understanding of what's going on - all installers (*all*) use some form of fdisk to partition your drives... cfdisk is the terminal "gui" version... fdisk is prompt based... when you click "ok" on the fancy fedora installer, it runs fdisk to partition your drive...
it's the same thing... and you cannot say "graphical installers are much better than textual installers because I've had an easier time with them", which is what this statement is saying.

on a similar note, think about this:
I have 100 computers to install linux on in 3 or 4 different buildings.  I can walk to each machine, insert my new-fangled SuSe disk and start clicking things... which probably takes an hour on each machine.  Or I can telnet into each machine from the safety of my desk and run textual installers, while still working on other things - hell, I could probably write a shell script to automate all 100 machines, and then do nothing...

which would you rather do?

#53 2005-02-11 01:28:15

aCoder
Website

I happen to like Fedora's DiskDruid partitioner that's included in the installer.  It's very similar to cfdisk, but with GTK2, and it includes some nifty tools for setting up Software RAID and LVM.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that sort of function and versatility is exactly what's lacking in most GUIs that make so useless compared to thier CLI counterparts.  DiskDruid may not add anything except integration to the current set of disk utilities, but, IMHO, it can at least handle anything you want it to do that could be done with the others.

I have 100 computers to install linux on in 3 or 4 different buildings. I can walk to each machine, insert my new-fangled SuSe disk and start clicking things... which probably takes an hour on each machine. Or I can telnet into each machine from the safety of my desk and run textual installers, while still working on other things - hell, I could probably write a shell script to automate all 100 machines, and then do nothing...

With that in mind, I'm usually in more of a desktop mindset.  This is a very strong argument in that kind of enviroment.  Also, I'm shocked that you think SuSe can be installed in an hour.  The one time I tried it, it took at least, and it often repeated probings and scannings and whatnot, which took most of the time.  Anaconda, however, I thought was alright, and is probably my 3rd favorite installer, with /arch/setup being first, and debian-installer (yes, that's the new one) and yast competing for last.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#54 2005-02-11 02:15:24

thegnu
Website

phrakture wrote:

which would you rather do?

I don't know, man.  Clicking is awful fun.

fffft!

#55 2005-02-11 04:57:17

aCoder
Website

I don't know, man. Clicking is awful fun.

*click!*...*click!**click!*
*click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!**click!*

Hey! That was fun!

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#56 2005-02-11 05:54:48

iBertus

I'm not a big fan of GUI installers. I can install and configure an entire Arch base on this machine in 5 minutes. Not bad! After a reboot, it's only limited by the speed of my internet connection. In 20 minutes I'm up and running. I just don't see how this could be improved.

Board footer