You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-05 19:55:16

SleepyFloyd

Automatically muting/unmuting applications

Not really a problem, more like an idea:

Picture this scenario: Openbox with multiple desktops playing several audio/video streams. A TV desktop (DVB-S with xine), another one with an mplayer-instance is playing some video, Sonata/mpd is running somewhere and Firefox is showing youtube. This would obviously result in a gigantic cacophony, which is the reason why I always have to either pause or mute the stuff in the background.

So, if something interesting happens on CNN (xine is usually showing some news-station), I have to switch to the sonata-desktop, press pause, switch back to xine and unmute. After that, mute xine again, switch to sonta, press play again. Not really a big hassle, sure... but I'd be cool if this could be done just by focusing the window (or perhaps even the desktop) in question. Clicking on xine (or kaffine or mplayer or whatever) automatically mutes/pauses mpd, moving on (unfocusing) puts the TV back in mute and let's the music play again.

I've never seen such a feature anywhere and I doubt something like that already exists... but, as we all know, nothing is impossible here, so I figured I might just ask.

I'm using a rather simple alsa config and a pretty basic onboard soundcard.

Hmm... while typing that, I thought of an even cooler feature. Scaling the volume of an application in regard to the size of the window. Full-sizing a window (to watch a dvd) mutes everything else and gives the player 100% volume. Scaling the xine-window to a tiny proportion of the whole desktop (to keep an eye on the news or something while surfing) lowers the volume automatically to 10%... is that possible?

Board footer