You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-06 04:17:27

NickStarchild

Wireless card and mounting a USB drive?

Okay, I downloaded and installed the latest snapshot of the Arch Linux .ISO last night, and successfully installed it on my Acer Aspire 1350 laptop, using XFCE 4 as my window manager.

Here's where my problems start:

1. I own a Dick Smith Electronics XH9945 WLAN 802.11g CardBus adaptor for my wireless network. A quick Google search led me to finding out that it's merely a rebranded TP-Link TL-WN510G PCMCIA card. How do I install and set up MadWiFi to get this working correctly? I'm quite confused with it now.

2. When I'm not on the root account, I cannot use any USB memory sticks. I get this error when I try to mount them:

Unable to mount "NICK 10GL":

Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.66" (uid=7 pid=2277 comm="exo-mount) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=1252 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))

What do I need to fix to be able to use it? As I said, this works fine on root, but not on nicholas (my general account). I've tried following http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB … USB_memory, but I was confused when it asked for device node.

Any help is gratefully accepted! This is the first time I've had any distro of Linux working on this machine.

Board footer