You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-07 14:02:20

igmx94

Kernel Panic!!! Can't find modules.dep

Hello, everybody,

Yesterday I followed the Kernel Compilation From Source topic on arch's wiki. So i did:

wget -c http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6 … 31.tar.bz2 (not 2.6.28)
cp linux-2.6.31.tar.bz2 ~/kernelbuild/
cd ~/kernelbuild
tar -xvjf linux-2.6.31.tar.bz2
cd ~/kernelbuild/linux-2.6.31
make mrproper
make menuconfig

I didn't change nothing in menuconfig.

So I created PKGBUILD and kernel26.install

makepkg -c
pacman -U kernel26-my-2.6.31.5-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

Everything with no problems. Except for one thing. When I did "pacman -U kernel26-my-2.6.31.5-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz" it returned conflicts with: vmlinuz26.img and *.map (I don't remember the names, the first it something like vmlinuz26.img but the second I only remember the extension *.map, I problably can remember if i see the names again). So I deleted these 2 files (I thought the new kernel would create these 2 files again).  After delete them, I runned again "pacman -U kernel26-my-2.6.31.5-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz", now with no erros. I restarted and BOOM!!!

When I start appears the ERROR: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31/modules.dep: file not found

But I started from my Ubuntu and I can see modules.dep there. Maybe, it is searching in the /boot directory, instead the /

What I must to do now? Is there a way to recover the old kernel? I think I made a backup. But I don't know how to access it, because my Ubuntu can't (only the owner can) and I don't how to use the live cd, because I know the Ubuntu-like live cd, but I can't find a live cd for Arch. So, is there a way to solve the problem? Please, reinstall Arch is the last option.

----------- EDIT ---------------

Maybe I have to configure my bootloader (GRUB). But how do I do that?

Last edited by igmx94 (2009-12-07 14:03:46)

Board footer