You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-07 20:44:31

topher1kenobe
Website

xmodmap

I've used one of those tiny apple keyboards ( http://www.apple.com/keyboard/ ) for about 6 months now, with Ubuntu until today.  When I got it, I set up some key mappings with xmodmap, like this:

remove control = Control_L Control_R
keycode 133 = Control_L
keycode 66 = Control_L
keycode 134=Control_R
add control = Control_L Control_R

and they worked wonderfully.  Now with my shiny new Arch install, when I try to enable it, it says:

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  118 (X_SetModifierMapping)
  Value in failed request:  0x17
  Serial number of failed request:  16
  Current serial number in output stream:  16

I don't know a ton about xmodmap, just what I learned (and forgot) last summer when I set this up.  Why would a previously working Xmodmap file now break?  Is it that different between distros?  Any idea how I can make this work?  I need my caps lock key to be ctrl.  :)

#2 2009-12-07 20:48:20

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: xmodmap

Have you looked into the syntax of an .{X,x}modmaprc? Consult the Xmodmap manual or Google.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-12-08 12:42:52

topher1kenobe
Website

B wrote:

Have you looked into the syntax of an .{X,x}modmaprc? Consult the Xmodmap manual or Google.

Yes, and it doesn't seem to help.  For example, I took this from the man page:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
add Lock = Caps_Lock

and I get this:

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
xmodmap:  /home/topher/.Xmodmap:1:  bad keysym in remove modifier list 'Caps_Lock', no corresponding keycodes
xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

Am I missing some other package or something?  When the examples in the man page go wrong I start to think I'm missing something.

#4 2009-12-08 13:09:41

chpln

Be careful with "remove [...]".  If the key being removed is not part of the modifier map, it will throw an error.  Either "clear" the modifier map, then add the desired key(s) to it, or be sure that the key will be in the modifier map before trying to remove it.

You can check the current state of the modifier map with:

$ xmodmap -pm

Last edited by chpln (2009-12-08 13:10:36)

Board footer