You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-09 02:29:50

MillTek

Trying to use the Xorg Composite extensions??

Hi,

I've installed the Xorg component require to implement the composite extension (xapps).  I've been using the instructions in the wiki http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Us … 0extension
to achieve this.  If I execute xcompmgr in a terminal I get the fades and shading as advertised. If I execute transset in a terminal I can set translucenvy for one window as advertised. 

My question(s) are these;

The wiki says to mod xinitrc to run xcompmgr.  When I paste the line from the wiki into xinitrc nothing happens when I reload X.

Also, what do I have to do switch the translucency for all windows??

Thanks, 

Jim

#2 2005-02-09 08:58:00

FUBAR
Website

Re: Trying to use the Xorg Composite extensions??

MillTek wrote:

Hi,
The wiki says to mod xinitrc to run xcompmgr.  When I paste the line from the wiki into xinitrc nothing happens when I reload X.

Put the exact same command in there you used to get it started when you were already in X.

Maybe it should be in another file that's read upon starting X: in XFce, you'd have to put it in ~/.xfce4/xinitrc (and make sure xinitrc has +x permissions).

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2005-02-09 14:29:10

MillTek

Hi FUBAR,

The command is in the file you suggested, exactly the same as when it works from a terminal.  It also has +x permissions.

For what it's worth, I start xfce from the command line using startxcfe4.

Jim

#4 2005-02-12 01:51:38

shadowhand
Website

WARNING: Transset is very buggy. Xcompmgr is also, but the Xfwm compositor is pretty stable. You will notice some bugs with a couple of GTK themes, artifacts, and other nonsense when using a compositing manager.

To run xcompmgr either add this to your .xinitrc:

exec xcompmgr -c &

or run it in a shell after you are logged in. If you are using Xfce, you can recompile Xfwm to have built in support for it. Just add the "--enable-compositor" option when configuring.

To make windows translucent use the program transset. To make a window 50% translucent do the following in a console: "transset .5", after which your cursor will change and you can click on the window you want to be translucent.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#5 2005-02-12 02:49:05

MillTek

Thanks,

Jim

#6 2005-02-17 11:35:25

tmadhavan

So transset always has to be used manually to set individual windows to be translucent?

#7 2005-02-21 21:24:34

shadowhand
Website

tmadhavan wrote:

So transset always has to be used manually to set individual windows to be translucent?

Yes, as far as I know (I was really big on the Xapps when they became available) there is no way to set all windows to be translucent when they start, or to set multiple windows to be translucent with one command.

Remeber: Xapps are still very new.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

Board footer