You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-10 16:36:31

Valiant

Warcraft on Wine - odd issue

Hello,

I'm new to Archlinux but have been using Linux exclusively for at least 5 years at work and at home.  I switched my work computer from Ubuntu to Arch a couple weeks ago and have had no problem.  So I switched my home computer over a few days ago and so far the results have been awesome!  However, I tried yesterday to get my World of Warcraft  up and running in Wine and ran into problems I've never seen before.

Tried a full install from CD's and the WoLK DVD.  Everything installed ok but the launcher wouldn't start.  A check of the game folder's permissions showed it as "forbidden".  I tried changing permissions in GUI and terminal, as regular, su, sudo.  Nothing worked.  Well, it sort of worked.  The folder would show okay permissions but when Launcher.exe started, it would stop after a few seconds and folder would be set back to "forbidden".  The WoLK DVD has some weird issues and I thought the fix for that might have messed up the folder somehow.  So I deleted the folder and downloaded a fresh install overnight.

Today, I have the same problem.  I've tried

chmod -R 775

on game folder, up to .wine folder, finally up to my /home folder.  I can get the launcher to start but it stops after a few seconds and the folder once again shows "forbidden".  I even tried

chmod -R 777

on the game folder with no luck.  Tried kdesu dolphin for gui changes, again no luck.  Game starts, stops, permissions are switched back to "forbidden".  Both installs were done as a regular user.  Other wine apps work okay.  My /home folder is on a separate hard drive and this changeover was the first time I've totally cleared out that drive in over a year.  I'm a member of these groups: lp,wheel,video,audio,optical,storage,power,vboxusers.

Any help or suggestions appreciated...

#2 2009-11-10 19:56:26

hpestilence

Re: Warcraft on Wine - odd issue

After getting a patch today I'm also having this issue. The permissions for the World of Warcraft directory is d----wS--- . I removed the directory and reinstalled from the online installer but the same permissions got set. I use crossover games instead of wine, early yesterday the game was working fine. My home directory is also on another hard driver, pretty much the same issues as Valiant. I used root to check the permissions of the files inside the directory and they look fine, it's just the World of Warcraft directory itself.

The only info I found about it is this. Maybe the patch is setting it

S             On NTFS 5.0 (and up) file systems (available only on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista system), this is the sparse file bit. Due to limitations in the file system, once you have set this attribute, you cannot turn it off without recreating the file.

EDIT: I figured out a workaround but it's really nasty. Every time you start the launcher the directory reverts to broken permissions so you leave the launcher running and use root to mv the world of warcraft folder to a new name. Then you recreate the original world of warcraft folder and chown it to youruser:users. Finally use root to cd into the old world of warcraft directory with its new name and mv the files back into the recreated world of warcraft folder.

su
cd <homedir>/<winedir/drive_c/Program\ Files/
mv World\ of\ Warcraft/ broken/
mkdir World\ of\ Warcraft && chown youruser:users World\ of\ Warcraft
cd broken
mv * ../World\ of\ Warcraft/

I think thats all the steps smile

Last edited by hpestilence (2009-11-10 20:49:09)

#3 2009-11-11 05:39:12

Valiant

I couldn't get the fix above to work on my system.  I did find on the wow forums that some people were having problems with the latest patch and blizzard was advising people with problems to start up with Wow.exe until the problem was patched.  So I invoked Wow.exe several times, resetting permissions each time, until it was all patched up.  At that point, the permissions stayed okay as long as Launcher.exe wasn't run.  So I am temporarily using wine '/<path to file>/Wow.exe -opengl' to get it running.  The opengl option isn't required, but I get better frame rates running the game in opengl.

#4 2009-11-11 17:34:33

lord_zlayer

I also noticed a permission issue after last launcher update. I couldnt start the game and I knew I havent changed anything exept the update. Navigated to my warcraft folder and found out that I  couldnt enter the folder so I checked how the permissions were set and user had deny to everything but group was still the same.
What I did was right click the folder and took root actions (using kdemod) and through there change the permissions on the folder for my current user to allow everything and now problem solved.
Hope this can give you a hint smile

#5 2009-12-08 11:56:43

Freqi

I'm noticing the same issue as the above members and would like to add a small bit of information.  I reset the permissions to my wow folder by running sudo dolphin /home/<username>, right clicking > properties and changing the "forbidden" permissions to "Can Read & Write".  I then ran both Launcher.exe and WoW.exe from the open folder using the sudo permissions and noticed the output in the terminal:

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/wine
wine: /home/<username>/.wine is not owned by you

I checked the permissions on the /.wine folder and they were set properly.  As of yet I still haven't gotten WoW to run.

I also tried running the game this way from the terminal window:

[mark@myhost ~]$ sudo wine /home/mark/wow/wow.exe
Password:
wine: /home/mark/.wine is not owned by you
[mark@myhost ~]$

Same result as before.

Last edited by Freqi (2009-12-08 12:00:08)

#6 2009-12-08 12:43:21

ctarwater

Likely there's your problem...running wine as root/sudo can really screw things up.

Try deleting your .wine folder and run winecfg again.  If you're running anything like wine-doors etc. and you ran it as root you may need to delete that .file as well.

#7 2009-12-08 14:58:21

Valiant

This "permissions" problem is a known problem and currently there isn't a fix I know of, only a workaround.  More information about this issue can be found at Wine's bugzilla:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20643

You've encountered it now because Blizzard just released a patch today.  The patch triggers Launcher.exe, which is what resets the folder permissions.  You were probably running wow.exe before, which circumvented the permissions problem.  The method you used to reset the folder's permissions is the same method I use.  The bug post shows some alternate methods with the same results.

*****   Unfortunately, it looks like today's patch has broken the game on wine.   *****

I'm attaching the error I'm getting when attempting to log in.  Perhaps this will be a Christmas without WoW for me.

WoW%203.3.0%20error.png

#8 2009-12-08 15:13:42

Freqi

Actually Valiant I was able to use the launcher before and it booted straight into the game no problem.  This was even the case on a few different distros such as Ubuntu and Mint.  I first ran the game in Arch with no issues at all under wine-doors.  This new issue however seems to be caused by updates pushed out by Blizzard lately.  Hopefully this can be solved soon

#9 2009-12-08 17:04:06

Valiant

From the WoW forums...

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
sh winetricks vcrun2005sp1 vcrun2005

This fix worked fine for me and solved login issue.

If you'd like to follow this topic on the WoW forums....

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa … 4934&sid=1

#10 2009-12-08 18:58:57

Freqi

Thanks for posting that fix.  After running that and doing the usual updates WoW seems to run with no issues.

Board footer