You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-12 09:08:19

jarda-wien

hibernate after a kernel upgrade

Has it ever happened to you that you lost your session because you did a hibernate after a kernel upgrade without rebooting first? I commented on an existing bug upstream, where the outcome was that every distro should handle this by themselves. Later I filled one with arch.
By posting in the forums I want to go more public with it, to see if anyone has had the same problems and if we can come up with some ideas. Mine are in the bug description...

arch bugreport:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17462
upstram bugreport:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21492

#2 2009-12-12 09:33:24

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: hibernate after a kernel upgrade

Ehmm... how about always rebooting after a kernel upgrade? I thought everyone knew that.

#3 2009-12-12 09:35:35

toffyrn

My idea is to reboot your computer! Its a rather good idea wink

If you are in a hurry and may forget to reboot, DONT RUN "pacman -Syu"!
(I think this is mentioned a few places before... tongue )

#4 2009-12-12 10:16:09

Allan
Pacman
Website

toffyrn wrote:

If you are in a hurry and may forget to reboot, DONT RUN "pacman -Syu"!

With bleeding edge distros, you should probably never update if you are in a hurry...

#5 2009-12-12 10:31:35

chpln

I (and I'm sure, the majority of Arch users) know quite well that a system is unlikely to resume cleanly from hibernation after a kernel upgrade.  If anything, the issue here is quickly finishing up whatever else you were doing, and then forgetting the need to reboot.  I know I could find myself doing this quite easily. wink

While its not a huge issue (and I wouldn't really like to see a handful of packages modified in an attempt to support this), having a means to implement this in pacman would be very nice.  Specifically, a hooks system, such as Allan has described here, would be ideal.  In this particular case, those who wish to prevent hibernation (or, perhaps an alternate solution which would keep the system hibernate-able) would have a simple mechanism with which to implement it.

Of course, while a hook system in pacman would be handy, it would also be quite an undertaking.

#6 2009-12-12 11:00:43

jarda-wien

I absolutely agree with what chpln said. Of course you should know that you need to reboot after a kernel upgrade, but still it has happened to me a few times that I forgot to. It is the same as with the post install messages from pacman after e.g. a change in cofiguration. When a package changes something and you get the message what to do after an upgrade, it is still quite sure that there will be members asking in the forum about it...

#7 2009-12-12 11:14:11

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I suggest someone files a bug report requesting a postinstall script with

shutdown -r 10

in it.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#8 2009-12-12 11:21:34

tomk
Forum Fellow

Just be clear what you're asking for then. You want changes to packages to facilitate something that has happened to you a few times because you were too busy. It seems to me the simplest solution here is simply not to upgrade when you don't have time to deal with required post-ugrade actions, such as reboots.

#9 2009-12-12 11:34:13

toffyrn

Reboot is one of the easiest post-ugrade actions compared to merging config files or debug a new problem....

However it is easy to become an "pacman" addict. (Been there tongue)

#10 2009-12-12 12:01:26

jarda-wien

tomk wrote:

Just be clear what you're asking for then. You want changes to packages to facilitate something that has happened to you a few times because you were too busy.

Yes, this is exacly what I want and I don't see what is wrong with that. I just wanted to see if there is someone else having the same problems from time to time. It seems that I am the only one:cool:. I will have to find a way that seamlessly integrates with package upgrades on my own then:P

#11 2009-12-12 12:06:02

Allan
Pacman
Website

Here is my take on the issue:
1) upstream won't fix
2) Arch won't fix. Patching software to add features not supported upstream is frowned upon in Arch. I was being nice leaving the bug report open...

So the chances of you ever seeing a fix in Arch are pretty much zero.

#12 2009-12-12 12:24:15

jarda-wien

I agree with the outcome of this debate. Would you, please, close the bug then? Because I still think this is a bug, I will definitely fix this myself. After all that is what arch is all about:) Provide a good basis and let everyone customize it...

#13 2009-12-12 13:44:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this suggesting that when kernel26 is upgraded the machine is automatically rebooted? Some of us DON'T have to reboot after a kernel upgrade, you know... (custom kernel) and I can just imagine leaving a big update running in the background while working on that report... whoops, the system just restarted, taking openoffice with it!

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#14 2009-12-12 13:54:24

toffyrn

I think B has been quite ironic lately... smile

Board footer