You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-12 14:35:45

hack.augusto

mpd and external hard disk

here is my problem:

I have a partition on my laptop's hard disk that has multimedia stuff -music, videos, books, etc.  - in ext3
I have a external hard disk with the exact same structure because I ran out space on my partition, and it is in ntfs (because I want it to work with windows)

I don't want to duplicate the data from my hard drive into the external HD - it's 72G -
I don't want to replace my current partition by the external HD because I may not carry the external hard drive all the time

How do I do to my external HD be mounted on my current file system transparently? So that I can use it with mpd without it bothering me?

A dirty fix that I'm pondering is to move my partition mount point to another folder and make some scripts to make soft links int the /mnt/files folder, but I wanted to see if anyone has a better solution

#2 2009-12-12 15:21:36

kgas

Re: mpd and external hard disk

It depends how you connect the external HDD. If it is permanently connected mount the disk thro' fstab on the directory of your music in mpd. or if you want to mount a particular folder only to that music folder use mount --bind from rc.local thro' a script. Normally starting mpd from .xinitrc is good imo instead of starting thro' rc.conf.

#3 2009-12-12 15:54:37

hack.augusto

Re: mpd and external hard disk

i have the external disk mounted through the fstab into /mnt/ext, the problem is, if I mount the folder music from my external hd into the /mnt/files/music that currently is my partition, all the music I have in the partition is gonna be 'hidden'

Board footer