You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-13 03:22:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

Word to the wise about ATI

Please see the forum Documentation Discussion  ATI Radeon and Kernel2.6 (Updated).

This discussion has 29,564 viewers, a poll to vote on its usefulness, a total of 208 replies and 14 pages of them.

The indications are that the ATI modules are a bear to install and run.

The evidence indicates that the stock kernel will not permit the loading of ATI drivers.  The kernel has to be hand -made by the user.

This is stated in the forum replies....can you believe it is a fact or just a wily-nily comment?

The sheer number of difficulties encountered indicate the poor definition of the problem in the first place. 

I predict this is only the beginning of even further problems as the archlinux kernels are pacman -Syu installed.

I have two ATI modules I will send back to ATI...these guys are in Canada,yet!!!!

I have to sign-off now while I go to Fry's to get a good video card.

Bye-Bye ATI!!(Care to join me?)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-02-13 06:49:20

skoal
Website

Re: Word to the wise about ATI

lilsirecho wrote:

[...]Bye-Bye ATI!!(Care to join me?)

haha.  I already did. 

I will say this though.  Check out Fry's website.  I believe it is store policy that the price they sale online is applicable in their stores, if there is a discrepancy.  There used to be at least.

I argued with the store manager at one time about that, and I got my motherboard for $15 cheaper.  By habit, I typically always shop around and wrestle with managers over matching prices from their competitors, online or not.

Good luck with your purchase, and welcome to the NVIDIA "brotherhood".  You'll never look back...

#3 2005-02-13 13:04:56

mattux

my next card will be a geforce of course ... after 1year to get radeon 9700 work unter linux.... BYE ati  BUY nvidia

mattux

#4 2005-02-13 21:00:53

iBertus

I never had any issues getting my ATI card to work under linux. The new ATI drivers are much improved over the previous version.  Yes, I had to recompile the kernel so that AGPGART was a module but that isn't such big of a deal. I first installed the ATI drivers under Slack w/o any sort of package management using rpm2tgz.

The one thing that bugs most people about the ATI linux drivers isn't that the module is difficult to install but that the performance isn't up to par with their windows offerings. nVidia drivers are very close on both platforms. If I had a newer ATI card I'd probably stick with it before putting up more money to get an nVidia card (get an older GeForce 4 Ti or GeForce 6) right now. But, I'll probably always buy nVidia for future graphics cards. When I build my AMD64 box down the road it will be powered by nVidia graphics unless ATI improves by vast amounts in the driver department. FYI, I'm using an nVidia GeForce FX 5700 my current Athlon XP box and it isn't even close to being the card my old Radeon 8500 is for Windows, but under linux it's much better.

#5 2005-02-15 01:53:16

Mark_E_Wallace

lilsirecho wrote:

The indications are that the ATI modules are a bear to install and run.

Admittedly, I don't have a brand-spankin'-new ATI card of any sort, but I will say that the ATI Rage 128 that came in my Dell a few years ago works just fine under Arch & Xorg. If there's some part of it that isn't working to spec, I'm not aware of it, so it ain't a problem here.

Cheers,

Mark

#6 2005-02-15 03:18:29

normc
Website

I'm using a ATI 9600 XT with xorg and I havn't had any problems since I started using the radeon driver. Admittedly I don't play any advanced games or use 3d, but my mouse curser is transparent.

Norm

#7 2005-02-15 09:05:14

tmadhavan

normc wrote:

I'm using a ATI 9600 XT with xorg and I havn't had any problems since I started using the radeon driver. Admittedly I don't play any advanced games or use 3d, but my mouse curser is transparent.

w00t! Wish mine was.... damn Nvidia

#8 2005-02-15 10:58:23

STiAT

i've never had problems with my ATI in my notebook. Since the new driver release it's alright, and i'm using stock kernel. The only problem was that libgl already was in the X11 libdir.

I won't change since i can't in my notebook. Anyway, worked flawlessly. I dont play many games either, so i don't have any problem running the drivers shipping with xorg.

Anyway, i prefer NVidia either, since the linux support of NVidia is by far better. Still, "i dont get my ati running" seems to be a user error.

// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#9 2005-02-17 01:21:19

Marauder1

Geee, all  this problem to get an ATI AGP
card to work in Linux, mine is a Radeon 9250 PCI ....

THE MISSION SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE !!!!!

Board footer