You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-13 03:57:11

dmotd

makepkg creates a configure error?

confusing subject for a confusing issue, sorry!

i'm maintaining the pd-extended-svn PKGBUILD found here:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22509

some background: this is quite a large package with many plugin style libraries included, the build system uses a recursive make which uses a combination of static makefiles and autotools builders in each library folder.

the issue that i and others have experienced is noted in the top comment of AUR record, where running the ./configure command in a few libs (OSCx in this case) fails (conftest segfaults), and prints the error:
--
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'
--

this only occurs inside of makepkg, running ./configure manually succeeds, and the same pd-extended buildsystem runs fine on our debian based autobuild system.

logs follow :

the failed config.log:
http://simplesuperlativ.es/config.log
a successful config.log (run manually from the build folder):
http://simplesuperlativ.es/config-works.log
the full build log:
http://simplesuperlativ.es/pd-extended- … -build.log

any information would be helpful..
cheers,
dmotd

#2 2009-12-13 04:32:32

lucke

Re: makepkg creates a configure error?

I believe it's a known fakeroot issue.

#3 2009-12-13 04:51:33

dmotd

fakeroot issue would make the most sense, i ran a recent system update which has brought me up to fakeroot version 1.14.3-1, the only notable similiarity i can find is http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=535572 and the resolution does not match the environment.. i'm not sure what to make of the bug report at http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12653 which is apparently closed, is this a new symptom to an old problem, or a new problem?

#4 2009-12-13 04:55:16

Allan
Pacman
Website

Old symptom to an old problem I think...

The way to get around that is for your PKGBUILD to have a build() function where the building is done and a package() function where the installing is done.  Then fakeroot is only used in the package() step.

#5 2009-12-13 05:15:20

dmotd

allan, greetings from brisbane and thanks for the fast response!

i'll convert the PKGBUILD to install with package() and see if that does the trick, it certainly makes more organizational sense anyway, but i can't seem to find it documented? perhaps i've overlooked it..

should i file a bug report for this specific case?

#6 2009-12-13 05:20:15

Allan
Pacman
Website

dmotd wrote:

i'll convert the PKGBUILD to install with package() and see if that does the trick, it certainly makes more organizational sense anyway, but i can't seem to find it documented? perhaps i've overlooked it..

see "man PKGBUILD"

dmotd wrote:

should i file a bug report for this specific case?

If you do, file it upstream.  There is not much we can do about these issues...

#7 2009-12-13 05:22:50

dmotd

cheers.. i'll test that out

#8 2009-12-13 07:17:10

dmotd

placing the install directives inside a package() function has had no effect, configure still breaks with a seg fault in the same place. i did a check of the broken lib in our subversion repository and there have been no major changes between this revision and one i checked out in august.

Last edited by dmotd (2009-12-13 07:22:31)

#9 2009-12-13 07:36:25

lucke

Try building as root (pass --asroot flag to makepkg) to confirm it's really a fakeroot issue.

#10 2009-12-13 07:44:40

Allan
Pacman
Website

Does not sound like a fakeroot issue at all then...

Try adding something like

CFLAGS=""
CXXFLAGS=""
LDFLAGS=""
export CFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS

in the PKGBUILD to check these are not causing the issue.

#11 2009-12-13 09:00:07

dmotd

neither running as-root or exporting *FLAGS has any effect. i just ran the same build command that is inside the PKGBUILD from within the bulld source and had no problems building the full environment. it seems that something about makepkg or makepkg.conf is throwing the build, or at least some part of the autotools configure system.

i have not made any edits to the default makepkg.conf, and while i don't use much from AUR i have had no issues building previously.

#12 2010-01-08 02:15:22

dmotd

Bump!?

#13 2010-01-26 13:04:23

dmotd

I'm still stuck with this one, its seems like the makepkg environment is inheriting the CFLAGS, LDFLAGS and INCLUDES from elsewhere in the build, and its contaminating the conftest in the configure.. running the same build command from outside makepkg suceeds.. here are some edited notes from comparing the two config.logs:

BASH (manually):

## ----------------- ##
## Output variables. ##
## ----------------- ##
CC='gcc'
CFLAGS='-g -O2 -DUNIX -Wall -Wimplicit -Wunused -Wmissing-prototypes -O1 -I../libOSC -I../../pd/src -I../../../pd/src -I../src'
INCLUDES='-I../libOSC -I../../pd/src -I../../../pd/src -I../src'
LDFLAGS='-Wl,--export-dynamic -shared'

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##
[b]BASH (manually):[/b]
Target: powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,ada --enable-threads=posix --mandir=/us
r/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-multilib --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --enable-clocale=gnu --dis
able-libstdcxx-pch --with-tune=powerpc --with-cpu=powerpc --disable-altivec --without-altivec
Thread model: posix
###
configure:1752: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:1755: gcc    conftest.c  >&5

makepkg:

## ----------------- ##
## Output variables. ##
## ----------------- ##
CC='gcc'
CFLAGS='-DPD -I/home/dmotd/abs/pd-extended-svn/src/pd-extended-build/pd/src -Wall -W -ggdb -I/home/dmotd/abs/pd-extended-svn/src/pd-extended-build/Gem/src -I/home/dmotd/abs/pd-extended-svn/src/pd-extended-build/externals/pdp/include -DUNIX -Dunix -DDL_OPEN -fPIC'
INCLUDES=''
LDFLAGS=' -Wl,--export-dynamic  -shared -fPIC'

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##
Target: powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,ada --enable-threads=posix --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-multilib --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --enable-clocale=gnu --disable-libstdcxx-pch --with-tune=powerpc --with-cpu=powerpc --disable-altivec --without-altivec
Thread model: posix
###
configure:1752: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:1755: gcc -DPD -I/home/dmotd/abs/pd-extended-svn/src/pd-extended-build/pd/src -Wall -W -ggdb -I/home/dmotd/abs/pd-extended-svn/src/pd-extended-build/Gem/src -I/home/dmotd/abs/pd-extended-svn/src/pd-extended-build/externals/pdp/include -DUNIX -Dunix -DDL_OPEN -fPIC   -Wl,--export-dynamic  -shared -fPIC conftest.c  >&5

i don't really know where to go from here.. the package wont build within makepkg, but builds fine manually.. the pure-data build system in rather convoluted, so its hard to get a grasp at whether its to blame, but the same buildsystem is used to build for numerous other evironments (and is scheduled to do so nightly), and has worked fine previously with arch.

Last edited by dmotd (2010-01-26 14:28:59)

#14 2010-02-07 20:13:45

Stythys
Website

same problem here... =/

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#15 2010-05-26 18:24:03

Stythys
Website

any updates? still haven't been able to fix this..

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

Board footer