You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-02 04:43:08

rhys_rhaven
Website

vboxnetflt oddity

vboxdrv loads fine. try to load the other modules to do networking, I get this.

[root@poseidon ~]# modprobe vboxnetflt
FATAL: Error inserting vboxnetflt (/lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/misc/vboxnetflt.ko): Invalid module format
[root@poseidon ~]# modprobe vboxnetadp
FATAL: Error inserting vboxnetadp (/lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/misc/vboxnetadp.ko): Invalid module format

from dmesg

vboxguest: exports duplicate symbol RTMemExecFree (owned by vboxdrv)
vboxguest: exports duplicate symbol RTMemExecFree (owned by vboxdrv)

Loading it directly works. A fix for anyone hitting this error. I would still like to load them via rc.conf which uses modprobe.

[root@poseidon ~]# insmod /lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/misc/vboxnetflt.ko
[root@poseidon ~]# lsmod | grep vbox
vboxnetflt             16392  0
vboxdrv               173032  1 vboxnetflt

Why?

#2 2009-12-02 16:34:58

kichawa

Re: vboxnetflt oddity

I have exactly the same problem after that:

[2009-12-01 16:35] upgraded virtualbox-modules (3.0.12-1 -> 3.1.0-1)
[2009-12-01 16:35] upgraded virtualbox-ose (3.0.12-1 -> 3.1.0-1)

#3 2009-12-02 16:52:26

wonder
Developer
Website

i don't know why you are loading vboxguest. the only packages that have to be installed on host system are:

virtualbox-ose
virtualbox-modules
virtualbox-additions

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2009-12-03 14:46:12

rhys_rhaven
Website

I didn't load vbox guest. vboxguest is simply what is displayed in dmesg. The only module I've loaded is vboxdrv. vboxnetflt is required for bridging in the host.

#5 2009-12-13 20:23:18

alterkacker

I have exactly the same problem with the 3.1 PUEL version, installed by downloading & running the VirtualBox-3.1.0-55467-Linux_x86.run file. It looks like a problem in the way the 'modules.dep' file is set up - see this: http://old.nabble.com/vboxguest:-export … #a26678863.

I have my Arch setup so that I can run it either as a host when I've booted it natively or as a guest when I've booted from Windows, and so to support the guest operations I installed the VBoxLinuxAdditions. I wonder if that has something to do with it - anybody else trying the same thing?

BTW, I modified my rc.local file to distinguish between being booted as a host or guest:

# Determine whether booted natively or out of VBOX
mode=native
(dmidecode -s bios-vendor | grep -qi '^innotek') && mode=vbox

if [[ $mode == native ]]; then
  # Start vboxdrv
  # If you do not wish this to be executed here then comment it out,
  # and the installer will skip it next time.
  if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv ]; then
      #/etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv start
      modprobe vboxdrv
      insmod lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/vboxnetflt.ko
      insmod lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/vboxnetadp.ko
  fi

# Mount /c as specified in fstab
  mount /c
else
  # Start vboxadd
  if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxadd ]; then
      /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxadd start
  fi

# Start vboxadd-service
  if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxadd-service ]; then
      /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxadd-service start
  fi

# Start vboxadd-x11
  if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxadd-x11 ]; then
      /etc/rc.d/rc.vboxadd-x11 start
  fi

# Mount /c using vboxsf
  mount -t vboxsf HostC /c
fi

#6 2009-12-26 09:54:15

jfreund
Website

I have the same problem - loading any of the vbox networking modules fails as described by rhys_rhaven. And no, it's not some super special setup I use, I just installed the virtualbox packages via pacman and tried to load the kernel modules...

#7 2010-02-06 03:56:44

stryder

For whatever reason I have hit this problem with the latest -Syu:

[root@Arch64@Q84 ~]# modprobe vboxnetflt
FATAL: Error inserting vboxnetflt (/lib/modules/2.6.32-ARCH/misc/vboxnetflt.ko): Invalid module format

and rhys_rhaven's solution with insmod works.

Was there a solution to this? Or should I just reinstall virtualbox_bin from aur (OK just did and no diff)? Or forget about rc.conf and just add a line to rc.local (looks like I have to live with this for the moment)?

#8 2010-02-11 13:44:50

Aidenn

same with the vboxvfs.ko on a guest system. insmod solution works though.

Last edited by Aidenn (2010-02-11 13:52:55)

#9 2010-02-25 14:17:17

Flag

Worked for me as well, thanks smile

#10 2010-05-01 14:32:30

grim147

Thanks alot smile , was trying to fix this for like 2 hours already tongue

#11 2010-05-23 23:08:46

neils123

Hey there.  Just wanted to thank you for this.  I'm not running ArchLinux, I'm actually on ubuntu 10.04 64-bit (found this thread via everyone's best friend Google).  Just installed the OS and installed VirtualBox through the package manager (version 3.1.6_OSE) - totally vanilla, and then had the same problem trying to bring up a WinXP guest with a bridged adapter.  Same exact error message from modprobe and in dmesg.  insmod did the trick though, and now my WinXP is happily starting up and online.  I guess for now I'm just going to go ahead and add that insmod command to /etc/rc.local.  Thanks again!

#12 2010-05-24 09:53:16

Cilyan
Website

For archers, you may simply install kernel26-headers and then run

/etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup

This will recompile the vbox{drv,netflt,netadp} drivers for your kernel and you will then be able to add them to the MODULES array in rc.conf.

#13 2010-08-27 23:52:14

jfreund
Website

Cilyan wrote:

For archers, you may simply install kernel26-headers and then run

/etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup

Sadly enough, this won't do the trick. The problem remains the same, so I tracked the rc script to see what it does. Finally, it comes to doing this:

cd /usr/lib/virtualbox/src
make install clean

One can also directly go into /usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vbox{drv,netadp,netflt} and use the Makefile there. Quite interesting: running make in vboxdrv doesn't cause any trouble. However, running make install in vboxnetflt triggers a bunch of warnings:

WARNING: "RTSpinlockAcquireNoInts" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSemFastMutexDestroy" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTThreadPreemptIsEnabled" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTUuidCompareStr" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTR0Term" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTNetIPv6PseudoChecksumEx" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSemEventCreate" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSpinlockDestroy" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTNetIPv4HdrChecksum" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTTimeNanoTS" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTNetIPv4FinalizeChecksum" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSemFastMutexRelease" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTMemFree" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTLogRelDefaultInstance" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTNetIPv4PseudoChecksum" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSpinlockCreate" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSemFastMutexRequest" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTErrConvertToErrno" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTMemAllocZ" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSpinlockReleaseNoInts" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSemEventWait" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTErrConvertFromErrno" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSemEventSignal" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTUuidFromStr" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSemEventDestroy" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "SUPDrvLinuxIDC" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTR0Init" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "RTSemFastMutexCreate" [/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.ko] undefined!

I guess these symbol warnings are the root cause for modprobe to refuse loading the modules.

#14 2010-10-18 23:30:18

JamieKitson
Website

I think you guys were missing a "sudo depmod -a" right?

Board footer