You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-14 04:27:49

scottbg1

Install "ON TO" USB troubles [SOLVED]

Hi guys,

New member here and first Arch experience.

I have fooled around with several Linux distros for the past year or so but I have decided that I am not happy with any of them. Most of them try to be as plug and play as possible, but I have found that the easiest ones to install are the most bloated and unreliable.

Using Arch would be an educational experience as much as building my own system that I can rely on. That being said, I am in learning mode so please be patient. smile

I want to install and build Arch onto a USB key. Most of the posts that I have found in this forum are in regards to having a USB installation key, or being able to install FROM a USB key.

My goal is to have a running OS ON my USB flash drive as I typically use this between two pc's. Plus its just cool. wink I currently have Fedora successfully running like this but its a little shaky.

So far I have Arch installed on my key, but when I try to boot, root is not recognized. I have followed the wiki to the letter, but still no joy.

In the wiki tutorial it was stated that on booting that root would most certainly not be recognized and to edit mkinitcpio.conf and add "USB" to the HOOKS line, Then rebuild, which I have done. Still no joy.

Does anybody here have a usb flash drive with Arch installed on it that can give a little insight on this?

FYI installation was done via LiveCD.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Last edited by scottbg1 (2009-12-14 07:54:02)

#2 2009-12-14 05:35:39

firecat53
Website

Re: Install "ON TO" USB troubles [SOLVED]

You might want to check out larch instead (unless I missed the fact thats what you used smile ). I have a running larch flash drive, but I set it up like six months ago.....and my memory is terrible. Anyways, it works great and allows saving of files and changes.

Good luck!
Scott

#3 2009-12-14 07:53:25

scottbg1

Re: Install "ON TO" USB troubles [SOLVED]

Thanks Firecat,

From what I have read this should be persistent as well, but if this doesn't work out I will indeed check larch out.

I have had some success in my problem.

I should have checked this out before posting but "usb" wasn't in the hooks line of mkinitcpio.conf like I thought. The kernel image wasn't built as I had thought. When I tried to do it again it would fail and complain that the "kernel26.img" file did not excist on the boot folder, but I verified that it did.

I did a reinstall and edited the line in the configuration portion of the installation. It now works fine.

I am still puzzled about the complaint of the kernel26.img not being recognized in the boot file.

Nevertheless it is working now.

For those who might be researching a USB install and come across this post, I advise doing the configuration prior to the install rather than after as per the wiki instructions. It makes for a more pleasant experience. smile

Thanks again.

I will mark the subject of this thread as [SOLVED]

Board footer