You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-15 05:53:36

Deuterium

various group issues (running various commands as non-root)

hello guys,
ive got a few problems where i cant do some things without root privileges, and i would like to know whats wrong as i have tried adding myself to the groups i needed (or thought i needed), but this didnt seem to help me.  So today, ive decided im going to try and eliminate all my permission problems at once (hopefully)

the problems ive encountered are:

- cannot connect to wireless network (with iwconfig, dhcpcd) as non-root (works with sudo though)
i thought adding myself to this group shouldve fixed it:

#/etc/group
network:x:90:myuser

- i cannot access a USB before root has mounted it in /media
the usb is recognized, and displayed in Thunar (im using xfce 4.6), but non-root accounts cannot access it until root auto-mounts it (running Thunar as root fixes this problem until next login) i thought maybe these groups wouldve helped:

#/etc/group
hal:x:82:myuser
storage:x:95:myuser,hal
optical::93:myuser,hal

-i cannot halt or reboot my machine without the use of sudo (which is quite tiring)

#/etc/group
power:x:98:myuser

also, when i try to suspend my laptop, i encounter an error saying

Suspend and Hibernate are only supported through HAL, which is unavailable.

But why is this the case, when HAL is started through rc.conf and i am a member of the hal group? (not only that, i tried adding myself to the daemon group, to no avail)

as you can see, i have quite a problem with groups :S but hopefully with so many problems, someone might know how to fix one of them haha.  i have examined wikis and google, but if you find a link im willing to read it and try to give it a shot smile

#2 2009-12-15 06:43:47

loafer

Re: various group issues (running various commands as non-root)

You should not need to add any users to the hal group.  How do you start xfce?  Do you have the following in your .xinitrc?

exec ck-launch-session xfce4-session

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2009-12-15 06:49:32

Deuterium

i will remove myself from the hal group then.  i start xfce via the inittab method booting SLiM, which then runs "exec startxfce4" from the ~/.xinitrc file.  is there a difference between them?

#4 2009-12-15 06:58:35

loafer

ck-launch-session starts consolekit which is used for stuff like auto mounting, so it may be a large part of your problem.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#5 2009-12-15 07:07:27

Deuterium

wow thats incredible! now i can access usb drives without root smile

also, i can now click 'suspend' and no error pops up.  however when i boot it back up i just see a blinking cursor and nothing loads -.- no idea about what to do with that

so now i just need to figure out how to reboot/halt etc without root, and connect to networks (via iwconfig and dhcpcd) without root.  any suggestions?

Board footer