#1 2005-02-14 00:35:23

skoal
Website

What's starting my "udev" daemon? I use "devf

I don't know squat about udev and have never used it, but

[skoal@morpheus ~]$ ps -A | grep 'udev|devfs'
  937 ?        00:00:00 udevd
 1042 ?        00:00:00 devfsd

My runlevel is set to 3 in "/etc/inittab".  I've looked at the invocations in "/etc/rc.sysinit" and the devfs daemon is launched, and it's the one I use and prefer.

What is causing the udev daemon to be launched?

#2 2005-02-14 05:15:15

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: What's starting my "udev" daemon? I use "devf

The fact that you have hotplug and udev installed.  If you remove one of them, udev won't run anymore.

It is a bug, but I really don't know the best way to fix it.  The problem is that udev puts a file in /etc/hotplug.d/default and when /sbin/hotplug is executed, it passes the signal on to everything in /etc/hotplug.d.  Then the udev client side stuff says, "oh, udev isn't started, I'll just start it"

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2005-02-14 06:07:12

skoal
Website

Re: What's starting my "udev" daemon? I use "devf

Xentac wrote:

The fact that you have hotplug and udev installed.  If you remove one of them, udev won't run anymore.

Ah, indeed.  Bless you sir.  You are a wise man indeed.

That's pretty sad when I got nothing better to do than hunt around for stale procs.  It was my favorite past time while using Redhat.  Either way, I couldn't figure it out from the init scripts, so, I bow in your presence...

Board footer