You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-12 15:55:32

Gullible Jones

Sound problems narrowed down to GStreamer and ALSA

Yep, it's in the title. Rhythmbox fails to work because of a GStreamer problem... If you set GStreamer sound output to ALSA, the test says "failed to generate pipe for alsasink", and Rhythmbox will not play anything, saying "Internal GStreamer error: pad problem. File a bug" and "Failed to create pipe." CD audio will still work perfectly though.

If, on the other hand, you set GStreamer output to OSS, everything will play, but nothing will produce any sound output.

Totem still fails to play a damn thing properly, but that is probably unrelated.

(I'm guessing some of my previous problems were due to poor sound config...)

#2 2005-02-13 00:53:32

JGC
Developer

Re: Sound problems narrowed down to GStreamer and ALSA

Mixer settings muted?
About alsa sink that doesn't work: must have been a shitty alsa upgrade that broke gstreamer again. They also break API with older kernels, so it wouldn't surprise me (why don't those alsa guys call it alsa 1.1.0 instead of staying on 1.0.8 which would mean the stable branch...)

#3 2005-02-13 15:44:37

Gullible Jones

All channels unmuted. This has gotta be an ALSA problem... roll So that explains Xine not working too. Screw this.

(Agghhh! I love Arch Linux, but the bad packages are getting to me again... :cry: )

#4 2005-02-14 00:36:05

shadowhand
Website

This same issued happened to me using Lunar Linux. To fix it, I recompiled gstreamer with the "--disable-alsa" (or something like that) option. Sound output to OSS doesn't appear to work unless ALSA is disabled. Strange, but I haven't been able to fix it any other way.

Xfmedia works better than Rhythmbox anyways.... tongue

EDIT: I just remembered that I installed KDE about a week ago. I tried to get AmaroK working and couldn't. It would play, but there would be no sound. (AmaroK also uses the GStreamer engine.) I think there are some issues that aren't related to Arch or any one distro. There must be some underlying issues with ALSA/OSS Gstreamer/xine (which has also had problems using ALSA in the past).

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#5 2005-02-14 01:48:04

Gullible Jones

Oh, just bloody wonderful. roll

(Maybe I should just install my Ensonique 1371... I never got this crap from it. Yep, ARTS doesn't work either. roll )

Board footer