You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-15 15:21:57

djungelmums

[SOLVED]Automounting removable devices

Yes I've searched and read those parts of the wiki but i dont fully understand.

It seems like autofs is the most mosed of these options but i have a question regarding it. I preconfigure what usb-sticks that will automount with autofs right? So if my friend comes home to me with his usb-stick it wont automount? Are there any other options that does this if autofs doesnt? Thank you!

EDIT: Im using gnome with HAL and FAM and i get this when i plug in an usb-storage (im member of the storage group): 26691166.png

EDIT: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 63#p672663 solved my problem. Thank you.

Last edited by djungelmums (2009-12-16 05:03:59)

#2 2009-12-15 16:15:50

lustikus

Re: [SOLVED]Automounting removable devices

I don't use gnome, but I think gnome has some fancy automount thing built in and you don't have to care about anything?! I thought most advanced DE/WM have this..

If not, you have some possibilities:
1. use thunar or pcmanfs filemanagers with builtin automount
2. set udev automount rules, see wiki for that.
3. use a automount tool/daemon like skvm or similar.

and most important, add your user to the storage group!!
this could very well be your problem here, as it seems like an authorization problem.

#3 2009-12-15 16:49:13

djungelmums

As i wrote I'm a member of the storage group.

I've tested the udev rules now and it works - the thing is i dont get a popup notification that its plugged in and i cant seem to transfer files to it.

The reason i want the popup (like in ubuntu) is to make it easier for my girlfriend to use the computer.

#4 2009-12-15 17:29:55

lustikus

are you using nautilus, the standard gnome file manager?
the popup thing can be specified in the nautilus options as I found out in a quick look at the documentation.
But I don't use gnome and nautilus so I can't tell exactly..

#5 2009-12-15 17:52:54

djungelmums

Yes i do but when i plug it in i get that "Not Authorized" window even though i've ran:

sudo gpasswd -a myusername storage

With udev i have problems with remounting the device - it sometimes works and sometimes dont. If i reboot and plug my usb-drive in it works right away, if i then unplug it and plug it in again it doesnt work most of the time.

This is my /etc/udev/rules.d/01.usbdrive_automount.rules :

KERNEL=="sd[b-z]", NAME:="%k", SYMLINK+="usbhd-%k", GROUP:="users", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd[b-z][0-9]", SYMLINK+="usbhd-%k", GROUP:="users", NAME:="%k"
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd[b-z][0-9]", RUN+="/bin/mkdir -p /media/usbhd-%k"
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd[b-z][0-9]", PROGRAM=="/sbin/blkid -t %N", RESULT=="vfat", RUN+="/bin/mount -t vfat -o rw,noauto,flush,dirsync,noexec,nodev,noatime,dmask=000,fmask=111 /dev/%k /media/usbhd-%k", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd[b-z][0-9]", RUN+="/bin/mount -t auto -o rw,noauto,async,dirsync,noexec,nodev,noatime /dev/%k /media/usbhd-%k", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ACTION=="remove", KERNEL=="sd[b-z][0-9]", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /media/usbhd-%k"
ACTION=="remove", KERNEL=="sd[b-z][0-9]", RUN+="/bin/rmdir /media/usbhd-%k", OPTIONS="last_rule"

EDIT I tested without the udev and did this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL … _correctly

Still didnt work.

Last edited by djungelmums (2009-12-15 19:23:49)

#6 2009-12-15 20:37:16

kgas

As an alternative try gamin instead of fam.

#7 2009-12-15 20:48:59

Coacher

ACTION=="remove", KERNEL=="sd[b-z][0-9]", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /media/usbhd-%k"
ACTION=="remove", KERNEL=="sd[b-z][0-9]", RUN+="/bin/rmdir /media/usbhd-%k", OPTIONS="last_rule"

Watch out with these two rules. AFAIK, "remove" event only sent after physically removing your device. So, umounting is already useless and the worst thing you can lost some data if it wasn't synced to your device.

Your problems:

With udev i have problems with remounting the device - it sometimes works and sometimes dont. If i reboot and plug my usb-drive in it works right away, if i then unplug it and plug it in again it doesnt work most of the time.

may be connected with it.

Last edited by Coacher (2009-12-15 21:03:34)

#8 2009-12-15 22:36:45

djungelmums

Yeah but from what i understand of those rules, it syncs the second the data is transfered:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 66#p670866 read that post. The best would be if the gnome automounting would work and not say "Not Authorized".

Noone solved that problem?

EDIT: Heres a guy that found a fix that worked for me too: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 63#p672663

Last edited by djungelmums (2009-12-16 05:04:22)

Board footer