You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-14 09:45:06

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

hotplug/udev and hotswapable drives on a laptop

I am a bit confused about this so i need some pointers.

all hotplug does is automatically load kernel drivers if i add devices to my system while it is up, right?

udev is responsible for detecting and mapping devices, correct?

udev and hotplug togther maps and then loads the modules to use the mapped devices?

my swapable cdrom/dvd/burner and floppy don't need drivers, so how do i get them to be detected when swap them cos at the mo udev doesn;t map them - i think...

#2 2005-02-14 10:32:32

lanrat

#3 2005-02-14 11:42:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: hotplug/udev and hotswapable drives on a laptop

thanks lanrat - that clarified but did not help!

Hot swap CD vs. floppy in media bay: Partial success. If you suspend to RAM or disc, then swap drives/batteries, the newly inserted drive will be useable when you resume. If you compile the kernel with floppy and CDROM support as modules, and if you boot with the CDROM inserted, and if you unload the relevant module before removing the CDROM or floppy, then hot-swapping actually works. But if you boot without the CDROM the non-module toplevel IDE driver permanently ignores it (the floppy can still be hot-swapped). Dell provides a special program, Softex ``Bay Manager'', which handles hot-swapping for Win98.

found that looking for hot swap rather than hotplug but it is from 2000-05-12, revised 2000-07-16  :shock:

Board footer