You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-16 21:46:02

jowilkin

[Solved] Must launch gparted as root

Not sure what update caused this, but when I click on my gparted icon on the menu in GNOME, it doesn't launch.  If I run from the terminal to see what's happening, I get this output:

╭─[jowilkin::theflash::~]
╰─[04:44:02]> gparted
Inhibit all polling failed: Only uid 0 is authorized to inhibit the daemon

If I run with sudo, it works fine.  I used to be able to launch with the menu icon, I don't remember if it brought up a gksudo prompt for root password or something, but it worked.  What changed?

I'm also having an issue with unetbootin (installed with yaourt from aur)e that I think may be related.  When I click on its icon on the GNOME menu, instead of launching unetbootin, it opens a root terminal and prompts for the root password.  If I enter the root password, it simply brings me to a root bash shell, it doesn't launch unetbootin...

Last edited by jowilkin (2009-12-18 05:47:35)

#2 2009-12-16 21:53:12

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [Solved] Must launch gparted as root

Don't know what changed, but gparted (or any other tool that allows direct modification of disks for that matter) does require root access. My guess is that you lost gksudo somehow. I belive that unetbootin requires root access too, although I could be wrong. I'd say take a look at what those two links are actually calling.

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#3 2009-12-16 21:55:24

jowilkin

The Unetbootin menu entry calls this command

su -c /usr/sbin/unetbootin

Gparted menu entry calls

/usr/sbin/gparted %f

#4 2009-12-16 21:58:04

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

personal opinion? verify that gksudo is installed, and change the two entries to

gksudo /usr/sbin/unetbootin

and

gksudo /usr/sbin/gparted

respectively.

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#5 2009-12-16 22:00:15

jowilkin

I just noticed on the AUR page for unetbootin there is this comment

I removed gksu. The .desktop file will now use 'su -c /usr/sbin/unetbootin' in terminal to startup unetbootin. So there is no need for gksu now.

So that seems to be the reason for that weirdness.  For some reason this new method is not working on my installation.

#6 2009-12-16 22:05:10

jowilkin

Thanks ghost, that's what I was thinking too.  I'm wondering why gparted installs like this as it is present in the extra repo, why don't others have this issue as well?

After adding gksudo, gparted runs just fine, but Unetbootin is still having issues.  When I click the menu icon a terminal opens and then a small gui opens called "Run program" which has one text box called "Run:" and and then a dropdown menu called "As user:" which has all my users on it.  If I type the same command from the terminal (gksudo /usr/sbin/unetbootin), unetbootin is successfully launched...

#7 2009-12-18 05:47:19

jowilkin

Ok I fixed the issue with unetbootin finally.  I used the GNOME menu editor (alacarte) to edit my menu entries and noticed that the "Type" was set to "Application in terminal" for unetbootin.  I changed that to "Application" and it works as it should now.

I will go ahead and mark this thread as solved.

Board footer