You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-16 21:18:00

piffey

Dynamic IP Broadcaster

I used to think that my IP address stayed the same as long as my connection wasn't reset but apparently AT&T switches out my dynamic IP at random intervals. I need to connect to my home server periodically throughout the day for E-mail, file transfers, play nethack, etc. I'm curious if there is a sort of IP broadcaster that will send the output of WhatIsMyIP.org to my phone or even something I can setup to update a webpage on another static server with my home IP. Any ideas? I'm down for just about any solution as long as I can quit calling my girlfriend for the IP whenever I'm out and the address has changed.

#2 2009-12-16 21:23:51

nogoma

Re: Dynamic IP Broadcaster

The easiest thing is to use a service like dyndns where (for free) you can have an address like piffey.dyndns.org, and run a small script that keeps the service updated to your dynamic ip address (such as ddclient, noip, inadyn, etc.). A lot routers (even my Verizon-provided router) also support this, so you don't have to run anything on your desktop.

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

#3 2009-12-16 21:46:12

piffey

Went ahead and just setup the dyndns with ddclient. Points to my IP so far and should keep working. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that's probably the easiest solution Closed thread?

#4 2009-12-16 22:47:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

You can add SOLVED to the title if you want.

Board footer