You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-17 08:41:53

Nixie

How do you convert channels.dvb to channels.conf

Title says is all. How do you convert the kaffeine file channels.dvb to a channels.conf file which can be used by mplayer.

The winterhill transmitter in the UK is now totally digital, since the change over I've not been able to get BBC channels properly in mplayer. The receiver is a Freecom DVB-T USB. I've manually edited the uk-WinterHill file with the transmitter info to update it and used it to create a channels.conf file.

scan /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-WinterHill > /home/~/channels.conf

This picked up pretty much all the channels & I can tune into BBC channels but receive no picture. I've googled a bit and it seems other people have this problem too and they think it's a problem due to the increased power of the signal after the change over to digital. I've tried a variable attenuator which did no good.

I've now found that kaffeine can scan for and find the BBC channels AND it can also play them back properly. So the theory about the signal strength being too much for the freecom sticks attenuator is probably a load of guff, at least in my case.

The data for BBC One from the kaffeine channels.dvb is:-

TV|BBC ONE|101(2)|102(eng),106(eng),|0|4168|4168|Terrestrial|802000|0|v|-1|-1|-1|-1|8|-1|-1|-1|45|105(16)(1)(1)(eng),||9018|-1|0|

The same data from the mplayer/scan channels.conf is:-
BBC ONE:802000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_AUTO:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:101:102:4168

I really don't want to keep kaffeine installed and any links or info that would help convert these channel data files would be greatly appreciated. Seems there are ways to convert them the other way round, but so far I've found nothing to do it fron channels.dvb to channels.conf

Last edited by Nixie (2009-12-17 08:42:56)

Board footer