You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-11 16:46:41

skoal
Website

How do I hide people's signatures?

I like reading a lot of people's signatures on these forums.  However, while reading some of the more recent threads, one guys sig looks like a freakin' billboard advertisement, taking up half my screen.

I did not see that option in my "profile" settings.

Anyway to hide people's sigs? 

If not, is there anyway to place some restrictions on signatures in these forums?  Other site forums I've ran across have no restrictions, and their threads are almost unreadable when I search them.  I'd hate to see these forums degenerate into that...

#2 2005-02-11 16:52:24

arooaroo
Website

Re: How do I hide people's signatures?

Yeah - I'm pretty sure that billboard guy sig is the same one which irritates me too. There must be a way to at least remove html from sigs - raw text only, which would be a start.

#3 2005-02-11 19:08:43

skoal
Website

lmbo.  Yes, sir.  I think we're thinking about the same guy.

As an internet "kid", I was trained at an early age to immediately hit the "back" button while stumbling across dancing bears, tiled wallpaper backgrounds, and frames with more blinking adverts than Madison avenue.  I found myself hitting the "back" button inadvertently in these forums the last couple of days, skipping the thread entirely.

Unless I retrain my "surfing" habits, I don't think I'll be hitting these forums as often as I do now.  Nothing I can do about it at this point, kind of like stumbling for the TV remote when a feminine hygiene product appears...just old habits I guess.

#4 2005-02-11 19:19:57

sarah31
Website

i hate big signatures. Alot of people on comic book forums have these fricken huge billboard ads..... actually alot of them have horrible forum ettiquette. The worst being this forum:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub … ?Cat=0&C=5

not only do they have big sigs they have terrible tendencies to continually nest quotes, etc. While you are there try the search option. Be hapy that a few people have annoying animated avatars and a few big sigs.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2005-02-11 21:04:39

skoal
Website

sarah31 wrote:

[...]

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub … ?Cat=0&C=5

not only do they have big sigs they have terrible tendencies to continually nest quotes, etc. While you are there try the search option. Be hapy that a few people have annoying animated avatars and a few big sigs.

Ah, crap.  I tried using the search button, but they wanted me to register first.  I tried my usual bogus registration with birthdate 01/01/10 and username "billgates", but they said I couldn't use one of my many bogus free email accounts, like "al_kaholic@yahoo.com".

I was able to browse their forums though.  I see what you mean.  Sheesh.  It's like staring at a spinning pinwheel...

#6 2005-02-11 21:51:26

arooaroo
Website

OMG! That site is horrid.

#7 2005-02-11 22:05:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

anime forums are like that too - check out the forums at narutofan.com

#8 2005-02-11 22:13:32

arooaroo
Website

Wow, they're even worse - made me laugh out loud! So bad it's good and all that.

Wouldn't like to view those forums over 56k dial-up. Zzzzz...

#9 2005-02-12 02:13:54

sarah31
Website

I can't stand that CGC forum for many reasons (mainly because i can't stand the company or the community) but the search function basically will pull up INDIVIDUAL posts in order of newest to oldest with the key word. ... Put it this way if you wanted to find something like you can with phpBBS it would take the better part of your life.

What drove me nuts on this forum though was the quote nesting. It gets so bad that you sometimes have foru words per line. They also gave me shit for  bottom posting in segments ... that is where you quote a section then answer below then quote a section then answer below. They said they could not understand my posts. Granted it was because they mostly disagreed with everything i said but some were really confused by this practise.

Then there is the graphics .... i usually post links for the sake of dialup users.  These fools though not only post huge graphics and sigs but they actually will nest quote them too! Brutal. Amateurish just like the business that the forum represents.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#10 2005-02-14 07:03:20

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

sigs can contain html. or phpbb markup at the very least.
Images can be embedded in there. Often times you can right click in firefox, and choose "hide images from this server". Just make sure that the server is not bbs.archlinux.org
Should be no further problems. Failing that, put the dns name of the image server into your /etc/hosts, and have it resolve to something like 127.0.0.5
127.0.0.5 anoyying.image.host.com

Either one should yeild no more images from that server.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#11 2005-02-14 07:16:21

skoal
Website

cactus wrote:

[...]Failing that, put the dns name of the image server into your /etc/hosts, and have it resolve to something like 127.0.0.5
127.0.0.5 anoyying.image.host.com

Either one should yeild no more images from that server.

That's a neat l33t trick you got there.  I never thought of that.

I'd still like to see other images though, like avatars.  Every time I see your "dancing" carton of cigarettes avatar, I feel like I'm back in a swank 70's movie theater.

#12 2005-02-14 09:51:13

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

skoal wrote:

I'd still like to see other images though, like avatars.

should be fine, as long as the images are not hosted on a common server. IE. If they use their own domain, and you don't ever think you will ever go to their domain..
like..um...doubleclick..
*wink*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#13 2005-02-14 10:05:48

STiAT

I personally enjoy having a signature.

Anyway, i'd like an option to disable everything except plain text, and the tags for url and code, since that's close to plain text.

// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#14 2005-02-14 15:40:50

cmp

i think phpBB has these features - maybe someone could just enable it from the admin panel?

#15 2005-02-14 19:29:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

#16 2005-02-14 22:02:21

cmp

strange i thought every maior board software would supply options to disable avatars and signatures.

#17 2005-02-14 22:17:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

phpBB has it - it's built on a modular architecture... download and add the mod i linked above...

#18 2005-02-14 23:26:28

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

skoal wrote:

I'd still like to see other images though, like avatars.  Every time I see your "dancing" carton of cigarettes avatar, I feel like I'm back in a swank 70's movie theater.

Milk..
wink

The method I proposed is a bit encompassing. For instance, blocking all images from imageshack.com might hose something I might want to see down the line. but..say i want to block imageshack.com/~naughtyimageuser
the /etc/hosts solution blocks them all, not just naughtyuser.

I think a more elegant solution would be achievable using something like squid proxy.

I wish firefox could block images from web directories, as well as image hosts themselves..that would be nice too.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#19 2005-02-15 01:45:20

soniX

how about using adblock (extension for firefox) ?

just add the full url to the image you hate in your adblock list, and you will never see it again..

you can also add wildcards (*) to make the blocklist more powerfull...

edit: I found the user I assume you guys are talking about, and it is as simple as rightclicking on the gigantic banner and choosing "Adblock this Image"... and abrakadabra... the Image is gone

#20 2005-02-15 03:25:20

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

got a link to the adblock plugin?

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#21 2005-02-15 04:25:23

soniX

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/m … inux&id=10

(Tools -> Extensions -> "Get more extensions"  for a list of all the extensions available)

#22 2005-02-15 07:50:08

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

super! thanks!

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#23 2005-02-16 06:05:26

skoal
Website

soniX wrote:

[...]edit: I found the user I assume you guys are talking about, and it is as simple as rightclicking on the gigantic banner and choosing "Adblock this Image"... and abrakadabra... the Image is gone

Sweet.  I'll try that out as soon as I get my Arch box running again.  I'm using an older Netscape and I can't put firefox on without a "glibc" update.

Hopefully, the forums won't get too many of these massive graphic sigs running around.  I hate to think I'll be playing "space invaders" on these forums by clicking "ad block" repetitively.  Worse yet, what happens if a prior sig which I had blocked changes their URL, to circumvent the one already stored in firefox?  More "space invaders", just when I thought I got high score and was finished...

#24 2005-02-16 06:53:55

skoal
Website

When I originally posted this thread, the phpbb website was comprimised and they were restoring their server, so I didn't get to do a search for it myself.   That's not a client side thingy is it?  You were indirectly posting that the admins would have to install it, rightt?

I would install it if I knew how, but I'm not familiar with what's available to clients already using a phpBB server.  I read through 8 pages of that link and couldn't find anything for phpBB clients.  I barely get by with what little php/sql stuff I know already.  I thought it was all server side.  Help a brother out...

From their website, I did see that phbBB2 says, "Allow limited access to viewing, posting, replying and many other options".  I don't know what version we are using, and even if that applies to the client or even this topic.  Most of those posts from that link you gave seemed to indicate that particular feature was "buggy", even up until the last post dated ~2 months ago.

Either way, I liked your response you gave to one of those sig banner guy's posts, something like "...it will probably get fixed on it's own if you change your sig.  That's what causing your alsa mixer problem."  I don't remember the thread or the topic (and I was already in the process of hitting the "back" button while the page was still rendering, until I saw you or Dusty's name).  I thought your response was pretty damn funny...

This whole thing ain't that really big of a deal to me, especially if I have to go around using pop blockers or Arch has to upgrade their whole phpBB to implement it.  I'll figure something out, like throwing duct tape across certain segments of my monitor which I know the sigs will render under.  Everybody's got their own "flavor" to add to BBs, and I enjoy the diversity.  All of it, including this particular banner man.  I'm just too set in my ways when it comes to big banners.  I'll manage somehow...

#25 2005-02-16 15:50:22

miqorz

I think we should just let it be known it's VERY frowned upon.

On a forum I used to visit banner images weren't banned by use of software but as a well known "don't do that" sort of thing. Seemed to work great.

I know I'm doing my part to let it be known it's not welcome.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

Board footer