You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-15 05:14:23

sage

Volume Sliders in Gnome

Hi, I got the majority of my system running fine, but I can't find out a couple problems I'm having. My computer is a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop. I used to have arch on it several months ago and all of this worked neutral

1. Gnome volume control sliders
My laptop has one of those mini-subs in the bottom which is controlled by the LFE output. I can't figure out how to make the volume buttons on the front control both sliders. Right now it only controls the main. A few months ago, in System > Preferences > Sound you could set the keys to manage multiple tracks, but I can't find that anywhere or anything about that. This is the main thing I'm worried about.

[SOLVED] 2. Pressing the "Standby" key on the keyboard only blanks the monitor.
If I go to System > Shutdown > Suspend it works fine. For some reason the Standby button isn't going where it was supposed to. Any help on this would be appreciated because it's much more convient to hit that.

[SOLVED] 3. The program that tells you everything about your system
I cannot remember what it is called. It tells you absolutely everything. North bridges, south bridges, sound cards, processors, etc.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited by sage (2009-12-17 18:28:42)

#2 2009-12-15 07:26:46

MadTux

Re: Volume Sliders in Gnome

With respect to the Standby/Suspend key, I got mine working by properly configuring /etc/acpi/handler.sh. I followed this guide:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acpid

In the default configuration, it seems that the handler.sh listens to a different key command than my Dell sends. The link contains a trick on how to find out the correct key command. I use pm-suspend and it works great.

#3 2009-12-15 16:57:45

sage

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I figured out my answer to number 3. lspci Guess I had a massive brain fart last night.

#4 2009-12-17 18:36:51

sage

The acpi handler.sh thing works great for the standby key.

Now the only problem is not being able to sync the Master and LFE channels in the volume control in Gnome. If I use the tray applet and set it to manage both, then I can scroll the mouse on it and it works, but I really want it to do that with the keyboard volume buttons.

Board footer