You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-18 12:00:23

beyecixramd

[SOLVED] Removing my old, dirty and faulty 200 Gb makes Arch unable...

Well, i woke up, and then suddendly, noticed the noise my computer does when starting up, arch and Ktorrent still working. I was afraid, but everything was running smoothly. I even played a random track on Amarok, to make sure my HDD isn't actually damaged. (I have 2 HDDs in my computer, one of which is totally empty and it's not in fact very usable, tends to lose data and randomly making  corrupt files (probably because it's old) so i shut down my machine, and disconnected the 200 Gb HDD, the empty, faulty one) when i started up my computer again, that sound was gone, so i shut down my machine again and reconnected this HDD to make sure it's the HDD, and yes, again that noise like the HDD was trying to start spinning repeteadly, so again, i disconnected this HDD.

I think everything was OK, but since then, im unable to boot my computer with Arch, it says

Checking Filesystem:                                 [FAIL]
/DEV/Sdb3
     The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 fileys (ndot a swap ufs or sthingele), Then the superblock is corrupt, and you might want to try running e2fsck with an alternative superblock:
       e2fsck -b 8193 <Device>

and then

Please repair manually and reboot.  Note that the root filesystem is currently mounted read-only.  To remount it read-write type: mount -n -o remount,rw /
When you exit the maintenance shell the system will reboot automatically.

any of the above commands won-t fix the issue, even checking this HDD, and its partitions , will tell me everything is OK (with parted magic, Gparted) also, i can play music from my /home (/dev/sdb4)

EDIT> i think i fixed the issue, ill reboot and ill tell you how it went, bbiab

EDIT2 > yep, it's fixed, the problem was fstab pointing to /dev/sdb while there was only one HDD, so i had to replace "b" with "a"

Last edited by beyecixramd (2009-12-19 11:16:24)

Board footer