You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-15 15:50:09

MillTek

Thunderbird 3 and calendar

Hi,
this morning my pacman -Suy delivered a new release of TB 3 (3.0-2-i686).  When I executed it after installation I noticed that it had a Calendar and Task scheduler built in. It looks really really nice. Then a few hours later there's another release 3.0-3 that does NOT have the calendar or task functionality. 

Is there a reason for removing this functionality???  I'm really curious.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by MillTek (2009-12-15 15:51:53)

#2 2009-12-15 16:04:02

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Thunderbird 3 and calendar

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2009-12-16 20:10:48

Ravenman

Hi to everyone:

I can't understand it. hmm

I've upgraded Thunderbird hoping some better and I've found one Thunderbird without calendar. Why ? yikes

Troubles with the x86_64 machines ?. I have one x86 machine and I need the Calendar (and the Lightning nightly build isn't reliable for my work). neutral

Can't you compile one different version for x86 machines (with calendar built-in) and x86_64 machines (without calendar built-in) while fix it the problems ? roll

#4 2009-12-16 20:16:43

wonder
Developer
Website

@ravenman users reported problems with it when having different extensions like enigmal and when already having ligthning extensions. in plus mozilla doesn't ship and to be fair it was a mistake to enable it in the first time.

you can always use abs to recompile and/or use thunderbird-branded from aur, which has calendar enabled

#5 2009-12-17 22:20:42

Ravenman

wonder wrote:

@ravenman users reported problems with it when having different extensions like enigmal and when already having ligthning extensions. in plus mozilla doesn't ship and to be fair it was a mistake to enable it in the first time.

you can always use abs to recompile and/or use thunderbird-branded from aur, which has calendar enabled

This cause me one doubt:

1. I can install Thunderbird (with calendar support) from AUR, but if something goes wrong, the Arch Linux Team doesn't will give me support. hmm

2. I can install Thunderbird (without calendar support) from official repositories, the Arch Linux Team give me support, but I don't have events and tasks. sad

Looking the comments here, I found this:

"Someone at ArchLinux added Lightning to the last T-bird 3.0 build, and it had a lot of visual impact and appeared very useful, especially with the new tab layout. Then they removed it in the next update a couple days later because of some display problems (which I didn't experience). I decided to install the add-on version and found it incompatible. But now I want it. I may not be able to live without it."

I do think also that: one of the main skills of the TB 3.0 is the lightning built-in, please come back it again. big_smile

#6 2009-12-17 22:25:38

wonder
Developer
Website

@Ravenman i don't see any lightning support on the feature page of thundebird 3 big_smile. mozilla knows better why is not activated by default on windows, mac, linux version that they provide.

#7 2009-12-17 23:13:46

anonymous_user

Have you tried installing the nightly builds of the Lightning extension? Afaik they should work with Thunderbird 3.0.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calenda … ml#nightly

#8 2009-12-17 23:37:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ravenman wrote:
wonder wrote:

This cause me one doubt:

1. I can install Thunderbird (with calendar support) from AUR, but if something goes wrong, the Arch Linux Team doesn't will give me support. hmm

2. I can install Thunderbird (without calendar support) from official repositories, the Arch Linux Team give me support, but I don't have events and tasks. sad

I'm not sure what type of 'support' and "Arch Linux Team" we're talking about here. Did we get purchased by Red Hat while I wasn't looking?

Seriously, install from ABS with the correct ./configure option, if something goes wrong, ask. Or fix it yourself. Using repo packages doesn't mean you suddenly have a phone number to call for 'support'.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2009-12-18 13:36:10

Murray_B

I think it is a good thing to integrate lightning in thunderbird, but the devs decided, that lightning is not good enough already. My advice: Use the normal thunderbird-package and the nightly lightning build, that is the best version you can get. The lightning version in thunderbird, which is not enabled, will be buggier than the nightly build. By the way, I already tried the nightly build, works well here.
Thomas

#10 2009-12-18 15:10:37

Ravenman

Murray_B wrote:

I think it is a good thing to integrate lightning in thunderbird, but the devs decided, that lightning is not good enough already. My advice: Use the normal thunderbird-package and the nightly lightning build, that is the best version you can get. The lightning version in thunderbird, which is not enabled, will be buggier than the nightly build. By the way, I already tried the nightly build, works well here.
Thomas

I will consider your advice and Wonder's words. I'll install the Lightning nightly build. cool

Thanks for everyone for your help and patience. smile

#11 2009-12-18 15:38:20

Ravenman

The troubles has begun: I have installed the Lightning nightly build, but I can't see the box for tasks and events and Lightning settings neither. yikes

Someone else with the same problem ... anyone knows how to fix it? neutral

Board footer