You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-14 19:00:02

gaah

tv problems

I'm trying to set up my tv-card in arch now. I have a pinnacle pctv stereo card with chipset saa7134, I don't know which tuner or card model I should pass along to the modprobe so all I did was:

modprobe saa7134

Since I'm using tvtime I did tvtime-scanner to search for some channels, and it found some. Now comes the problem, I can see some channels clearly, some are distorted (but with fine tuning I could set one of the up so I don't think that will be an issue at least). On no channel I hear any sound at all! How can I fix this? And the channel scan could not locate all the channels I have, what can be wrong?

Oh and I live in sweden so I'm using the PAL format, but what are those others? Like PAL-60 or what it was aso?

I really need help, since a show I want to see will be on soon! :-)

#2 2005-02-14 22:09:52

kill

Re: tv problems

gaah wrote:

On no channel I hear any sound at all!

Sound will depend on your tv card... On mine I have to use a loop back cable to bring the sound into the line in or mic on the sound card.

gaah wrote:

And the channel scan could not locate all the channels I have, what can be wrong?

Hard to tell... Check if there is a way to see how it scans, I use kdetv and it allows me to specify the scan interval.

gaah wrote:

Oh and I live in sweden so I'm using the PAL format, but what are those others?

As for those other format, different places use different ones. Where I live we use ntsc, in france they use a special secam (not sure on the spelling) format.

Hope that helps.

#3 2005-02-15 00:20:11

gaah

But I have sound on my tv-card when I am in windows so the hardware configuration should be okay?

The search intervall was quite wide... I checked the frequenzies in my windows software and they were all inside that range. But tvtime couldn't find them.

Yeah, I know there is ntsc, pal aso formats... I know that in sweden we use pal, but I have no idea if I should use pal, pal-60, pal-m and all what the choises was... Confusing!

#4 2005-02-15 03:42:09

kill

gaah wrote:

But I have sound on my tv-card when I am in windows so the hardware configuration should be okay?

Make sure the audio channel it uses is not muted.

gaah wrote:

The search intervall was quite wide...

I'm sorry I wasn't as clear as I ment to be. What I mean by interval is not 0 - 10000 to search from i mean how much it searches by. ie 2, 20, 200.  It could be missing some of the channels simply because it passes over them.

gaah wrote:

I know that in sweden we use pal, but I have no idea if I should use pal, pal-60, pal-m and all what the choises was... Confusing!

Yes it is confusing. I would assume that plain old pal is what you want but it never hurts to try the other ones and see what happens.

#5 2005-02-16 01:19:20

gaah

The audio is not muted since kdetv is unmuting it at startup. I haven't gotten any image at all using kdetv, but I'm trying with this one since I know how I can enter exact frquencys in it. (I took the exakt ones from my windows configuration) Anyway, I start up by loading the right modules:

modprobe saa7134
modprobe tuner

Then as my regular user I run kdetv and got some permission not permitted for some devices so I just

chmod 666 /dev/v4l/vbi0
chmod 666 /dev/v4l/video0
chmod 666 /dev/rtc

The last one didn't change the rtctimer not permitted as I was going for but anyway, this is what I've done. (is it a bad idea to change permissions like this?)

I continued by restarting kdetv as my regular user and entered the channels by hand (from the windows list) and changed the standard to PAL. Still no signal, neither audio nor video. And kdetv is giving me this as output:

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
ALSA lib control.c:739:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL 
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
  Major opcode:  2
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0xb6
kv4lsetup: using X11 display :0.0
WARNING: Your X-Server has no DGA support.
mode: 1024x768, depth=24, bpp=32, bpl=4096, base=unknown
WARNING: couldn't find framebuffer base address, try manual
         configuration ("kv4lsetup -a <addr>")
/dev/v4l/video0 [v4l2]: configuration done
Try to open v4l2 vbi device, libzvbi interface rev.
$Id: io-v4l2.c,v 1.25 2004/02/18 07:56:45 mschimek Exp $Opened /dev/v4l/vbi0
Try to open v4l2 (2002-10) vbi device, libzvbi interface rev.
$Id: io-v4l2k.c,v 1.18 2004/04/09 05:18:16 mschimek Exp $Opened /dev/v4l/vbi0
/dev/v4l/vbi0 (Pinnacle PCTV Stereo (saa7134)) is a v4l2 vbi device,
driver saa7134, version 0x0000020c
Current scanning system is 625
Querying current vbi parameters... success
VBI capture parameters granted: format 59455247, 27000000 Hz, 2048 bpl, offs 256, F1 7+16, F2 319+16, flags 00000000
Nyquist check passed
Request decoding of services 0x60000c7f
Will decode services 0x0000041f
Using streaming interface
Fifo initialized
Requesting streaming i/o buffers
Mapping 16 streaming i/o buffers
Successful opened /dev/v4l/vbi0 (Pinnacle PCTV Stereo (saa7134))
kdetv: WARNING: MainWindow::setupInfraRed(): Lirc not available
kdetv: WARNING: SaverControl: Error in DCOP communication. Unable to disable KDE Screensaver.
QColor::setRgb: RGB parameter(s) out of rang

What to do now? I really want my tv card to work so I have no need for windows at all!

#6 2005-02-16 13:30:34

Blind

I take it that you have your tv-card directly connected to some speakers, since you tell us, that on Windows everything works fine...
In this case there might be an extra module for the soundchip of your tv-card, which you have to modprobe. Maybe you can google this up.
If the above assumption is incorrect and you have sound in kde (so your soundcard was found) then everything should be fine...might want to check the mute button on the input channel in a mixer program.
Don't get nervous...am sure this is supported.

Greets,
Blind

#7 2005-02-16 14:53:58

gaah

In tvtime where I can see some channels (not all I have) I have no sound at all, in kdetv wich I just set up I get neither (no sound, no video). I have a cable on the back of my computer from the tv-card to the sound-card... When turning the volume up and down in tvtime I see that the same thing happens on my "line" in the mixer, which seems correct.

#8 2005-02-16 18:49:29

kill

For changing permissions you want to do it in udev's or devfs (which ever you use) configurations.  chmod the devices works but will be lost upon reboot.

Using line in on the mixer is fine, but if its not muted then I'm not sure why the sound is muted.

In kdetv make sure that the right device is selected under video.

Board footer