You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-16 22:11:39

lagagnon
Website

Upgrade BIOS firmware via Windows .exe file without Windows ??

I want to try to update my BIOS firmware (Toshiba Satellite L300) - unfortunately the Toshiba provided file is a 1.7MB .exe file and I do not have Windows installed, nor do I particularly want it installed! I wonder if it is possible to use a Live CD of FreeDOS (or something along those lines) to do this task? Any ideas appreciated.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#2 2009-12-16 22:51:52

Gen2ly
Website

Re: Upgrade BIOS firmware via Windows .exe file without Windows ??

I experimented with this a bit, figured out how to do it expect getting the CD to boot (with FreeDOS).  Wrote about it here.  Notice the comment at the end that might show you how to make the CD bootable (haven't tried it yet).

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#3 2009-12-16 23:00:26

fluffylime

I've tried different technique. I run the .exe under wine and copied the bios image it extracted from self.
If you have this image (usually .bin file), you can flash it using flashrom from AUR.
P.S. I have not tried to flash it, by that time my problem was resolved.

English is not my native language, sorry.

#4 2009-12-17 06:51:11

nblock
Website

flashrom works pretty good. make sure your system is supported before using it.

#5 2009-12-17 06:54:05

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I usually extract the executable with Wine (often it's just a batch script, a flash utility and a firmware file packed together) and put the firmware on a USB stick. Recent motherboards offer the possibility to flash the BIOS from within the BIOS itself, not only from floppies but also from USB sticks.

I just did this the other day with a GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, worked flawlessly.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2009-12-17 10:34:26

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Manufacturers should supply the bios image and just let people flash it through the bios, like B says I've tried it before and it works great from usb sticks.

Another option is to try Hiren's boot cd.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#7 2009-12-17 17:12:54

lagagnon
Website

Gen2ly: thanks for the info - unfortunately the flash .exe file provided by Toshiba is 1.7MB, so cannot fit it the image size of FreeDOS. Any ideas?
fluffylime & b: I tried extracting the .bin file from the .exe file using Wine but wine eventually causes and error and does not actually extract the .bin file. Any ideas greatly appreciated...

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#8 2009-12-17 18:07:47

fluffylime

lagagnon, what does wine exactly says (try to run exe from the console)?

English is not my native language, sorry.

#9 2009-12-17 18:18:46

Gusar

I think there's an image of Freedos out there you can put on an usb stick and the content of the stick outside of the image will be available when booting from it. Quick googling found it: http://www.finnix.org/Balder - Try that, but I don't have personal experience with it.
Another thing to try, increase the image size and then boot the image from grub with memdisk (comes with syslinux): http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph … ppy_images
A third option, I have a win98 floppy image with Dos USB drivers. I can boot this from grub with memdisk and the Dos USB drivers give me access to the stick.

#10 2009-12-21 00:26:23

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Did you give Hiren's boot cd a try like I said?

It can start a light version of windows so it may work, probably you will need to edit the iso to include the bios update executable (I don't know if Hiren's boot cd comes with the generic usb drivers ... never tried it in a real machine tongue ).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer