You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-21 00:23:01

disturb

Essential X applications ?

As someone who's only ever used DEs, building an X desktop from the ground up can be a somewhat daunting task.
Not so much because of the technicalities involved, but you do end up having to select and install a bunch of stuff that you never really cared or even knew about before, since it was built-in.

Being in the middle of such a process myself, I wanted to ask you guys what actually makes your desktop usable ?

It's not so much about the WM, but the little things you add on top to build more functionnality.

cheers

#2 2009-12-21 00:27:43

lagagnon
Website

Re: Essential X applications ?

You'll have to help us out here a bit more. Your question is much too open-ended. For instance, what DE do you intend to use and what are you planning to mostly use your DE for?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2009-12-21 00:50:11

disturb

Sorry if this wasn't clear, but I intend NOT to use a DE !
I do mostly web development so i got my toolset covered there.
What I'm wondering about is a bunch of apps that are usually part of gnome/kde etc.
Off the top of my head, i'd say document (images/pdf etc) viewers, desktop notifications, maybe a file manager etc
There is a lot to cover indeed, but I guess what I'm talking about is more or less the packages you get as soon as you got X setup...

Hope this makes sense !

#4 2009-12-21 00:56:34

thayer
Fellow
Website

Have a look for the thread, Best Lightweight Applications of 2009 (or something like that).  That'll give you a great idea of what people use for various tools, including office productivity, image viewing/editing, etc.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2009-12-21 01:01:38

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2009-12-21 01:09:07

disturb

Shouldn't have missed those, thanks guys !

Board footer