You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-20 16:15:43

xenobrain

[Solved] Power management doesn't work after suspend

The problem:  After resuming from a suspend state, power management doesn't work anymore.  Battery manager applets can't identify a power source and assume there isn't one then try to shut down the computer.  CPU scaling also doesn't work anymore.

What the problem isn't:

A missing package/kernel module:  I've tried installing just about every package related to power management in the repositories at some point.  Suspend/Resume DO work (and they continue to work even after first use), it's power management that doesn't work afterwards.

Bad permissions: Same problem even when running as root.

My desktop environment:  Tested KDE 4, GNOME, XFCE and more.  No difference.

A bad DSDT:  I keep my BIOS up to date.  Nevertheless, I followed the DSDT patching procedure as outlined in the Arch + Gentoo wikis.  After dumping it, I recompiled it.  I got two rather inconsequential warnings and zero errors.  I don't think it's buggy.

Bad configuration:  I booted Archiso-Live and Chakra to see if maybe an environment configured by more savvy users would fix the problem.  Nope.

My guess?

Some sort of kernel bug?  Except it seems specific to Arch as it's not in Ubuntu and Simply MEPIS.

My hardware:
CPU: Core 2 Duo
Chipset Intel ICH9 chipset
GPU: Geforce 9600M GT

Thanks for any help you can provide!  This problem has been plaguing me since I first got this laptop in January.

Last edited by xenobrain (2009-12-21 05:39:01)

#2 2009-12-20 18:11:07

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Power management doesn't work after suspend

I have a HP Pavilion DV4-1227 -- Same problem.  It is a known problem with HP Pavilions having to do with the resume state of some hardware signal called "SCI_EN"

The good news is that Kernel 2.6.32 (in Testing) solves this problem perfectly.  I write this while using that kernel.  The battery and brightness controls work as expected coming out of sleep.  I have not tried hibernate.

If you use that kernel, be aware that it the B43 module in  now supports the low power Broadcom 4315 wireless chip natively.  If your machine has that wireless chip, you can (must?) no longer use the broadcom-wl package.  I do not know about ndiswrapper, I don't use it.

In my migration to 2.6.32, I had problems with wicd in conjunction with the new b43 module coming out of sleep.  I reverted to network-manager and things work much better.

So,In summary, 2.6.32 fixes the sleep issues with the power management stuff, but may require changes to how you manage the wireless subsystem.  Also, reading the developer's notes indicates that 4315 support is in it's infancy with a lot of opportunity for better support in the future.

EDIT: BTW, I had this same problem with Gentoo, Ubuntu, and Fedora 11 (I spent some time deciding which distro I wanted to live with)

Last edited by ewaller (2009-12-20 18:14:54)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2009-12-21 05:40:41

xenobrain

Re: [Solved] Power management doesn't work after suspend

It works great, thank you!  I have intel wifi 5100 and am using networkmanager, so the upgrade was very smooth for me.

Board footer