You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-09 12:16:42

Allan
Pacman
Website

Attn KDEMod users: Tell us you are using KDEMod!

If you are asking for KDE related help and are using KDEMod, either go to their forums or tell us that you are using KDEMod.

Many of the KDE related problems posted lately are only in the KDEMod releases so can not be replicated by users of the Arch packages.  This wastes a lot of time for users and developers who try to help.

#2 2009-05-18 20:59:46

snorkel

Re: Attn KDEMod users: Tell us you are using KDEMod!

You guys should take over the KDEMOD project or merge it with Arch.  Why the two seperate implementations?

#3 2009-05-18 21:02:45

agapito

When we have splitted KDE packages on extra repo like kdemod? This is the main reason i´m using Kdemod.

Excuse my poor English.

#4 2009-05-18 21:02:50

kensai
Website

snorkel wrote:

You guys should take over the KDEMOD project or merge it with Arch.  Why the two seperate implementations?

We are not Microsoft we let variants and community projects live happily. We just ask for the users of those community projects to ask on the respective communities. Is good how many variation and how Arch can be whatever you want it to be, but people are forgetting to take into account that community projects are not officially supported and have respective maintainers.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#5 2009-06-09 18:46:01

funkyou
Website

Just to add my 2ct here...

Most problems with KDEmod have simple reasons:

1. People mixing repos
2. People switching repos without cleaning the system from old or incompatible packages
3. People not reporting bugs or asking at the wrong forums, and maybe getting wrong answers
4. People not reading documentation

Solution:
Read Everything you need to know about our Repositories and Packages and be enlighted smile
Following this guide should eliminate around 99% of the common problems...

Oh, and just to add that: KDEmod is not magic or a "hack". We have (nearly) the same standards as the Arch packagers. Every of our repos is built in its own clean chroot for example and we dont mess around with makekg since 4.2, as we are using Allans official implementation now. Please, if someone has problems or some critics, base your request or question around (technical) facts and not myths. That would make things a lot easier, thanks smile

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#6 2009-06-09 19:43:05

Pierre
Developer
Website

Lot of people don't seem to care about point 4. So of course its not a problem of kdemod itself but of people who don't know how to use it the right way. We had an increasing number of bogus bug reports and requests and we were wasting time just because people don't tell us they are using kdemod and have implemented all of the points you have listed above. :-)

Your wiki entry is nice. Maybe you can mention it on install of kdelibs. But I don't think there is anything else that can be done.

#7 2009-06-16 22:23:30

Leigh

Just my thoughts.

It seems to make better sense to mention what ever wm, or dm, your using when reporting problems / bugs, regardless whether your using kdemod or not. Probably a better sticky would be to suggest this rather than single out one dm. It could make people assume that if they arn't using kdemod it's not neccessary to mention which wm or dm they're using when reporting problems.

I'm probably wrong, but I tend to think, more times than not, people probably don't understand the documention vs not reading it.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#8 2009-08-14 02:14:17

zephyrus17

I have to agree with Leigh to some extent. I read the documentation as much as possible, but sometimes the text is either very ambiguous or just too deep for my understanding. If someone had a simple problem with, say, mounting NTFS partitions with HAL that any expert could solve, asking him/her to read a documentation about doing deep fixes isn't going to help because they just don't have the understanding in the first place. Even for me sometimes, when something's wrong with my Arch, I go to the wiki, follow the instructions and just copy and paste. I might not understand what's the problem, but if it fixes it, I just move on.

#9 2009-08-14 14:42:46

jelly
Administrator

zephyrus17 wrote:

I have to agree with Leigh to some extent. I read the documentation as much as possible, but sometimes the text is either very ambiguous or just too deep for my understanding. If someone had a simple problem with, say, mounting NTFS partitions with HAL that any expert could solve, asking him/her to read a documentation about doing deep fixes isn't going to help because they just don't have the understanding in the first place. Even for me sometimes, when something's wrong with my Arch, I go to the wiki, follow the instructions and just copy and paste. I might not understand what's the problem, but if it fixes it, I just move on.

You just copy paste,  that''s imao bad too . If there is any uncertian thing in the wiki it should be fixed. So if you dont like what is in the wiki or think it's too deep , fix it or open a discussion board on the wiki .

#10 2009-09-13 04:07:28

Xs1t0ry

I wish I could... I always get "exec: startkde: not found" when I startx. And I can't add the full path to startkde because /opt doesn't even exist, let alone opt/kde/bin. I'm confused.

#11 2009-09-22 15:58:52

whorider

Happy KDEmod user here. I like the lightweight feel of it and the fact that some of the (IMO) kde bloat apps are cut out. KDEmod runs very well on my eee and XPS, much better than Win7. I'm not a very savvy archer (in fact, I'm not a very technical person at all), but I am good at researching and reading the wikis/forums when I encounter issues. Arch users are very knowledgeable and helpful in the forums and they offer good advice, even though I never post I follow a ton of threads. I'm not sure I could say the same thing about the *buntu forums.  I get along well enough for the things I need and like to do on my computers. My biggest problem is deciding if I like KDE4 yet, it seems like I'm always switching back to kdemod3. Thanks kdemod (Chakra?) devs for your work.

rc.conf

#12 2009-09-22 16:33:38

venky80

funkyou wrote:

Just to add my 2ct here...

Most problems with KDEmod have simple reasons:

1. People mixing repos
2. People switching repos without cleaning the system from old or incompatible packages
3. People not reporting bugs or asking at the wrong forums, and maybe getting wrong answers
4. People not reading documentation

Solution:
Read Everything you need to know about our Repositories and Packages and be enlighted smile
Following this guide should eliminate around 99% of the common problems...

Oh, and just to add that: KDEmod is not magic or a "hack". We have (nearly) the same standards as the Arch packagers. Every of our repos is built in its own clean chroot for example and we dont mess around with makekg since 4.2, as we are using Allans official implementation now. Please, if someone has problems or some critics, base your request or question around (technical) facts and not myths. That would make things a lot easier, thanks smile

Not exactly always true I have been struggling with a kdesu problem, I have not been able to figure anything about it.
it is here
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=80488
http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=1410
do not know if it is KDE or kdemod issue either

It has since been fixed kdesu depends on xinit

Last edited by venky80 (2009-10-05 18:00:27)

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#13 2009-10-05 16:39:33

Silverwing

I'm.. going to use it.

I liked kde, but hell.. there's so many apps I didn't even know they existed installed! I'm going for a minimal kdemod installation, along with a minimal xfce installation, as I'm using a lot of gtk apps, I tend to switch pretty often.

Don't have time right now, maybe doing it tomorrow.

Careful what you wish, you might just get it!

#14 2009-10-08 09:04:53

putaopi
Website

I am using~
kdemod runs well on my laptop,the lightweight feel is so good.
I got a minimal kdemod installation along with  a  windowmaker and a minimal gnome installation .
Hope kdemod will more light,more smooth and more stable.

Last edited by putaopi (2009-10-08 09:05:45)

need driver for 3dsp bluew2310 wlan and bluetooth card.
TD!

#15 2009-10-08 09:05:48

Allan
Pacman
Website

I think people are missing the point of this topic...   read the first post again.

#16 2009-12-07 11:43:11

STiAT

Hmh, how about using the same bugtracker, where people can select "KDEMod" or "KDE". This probably would make more sense than trying to reach every user reporting bugs.

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#17 2009-12-07 12:53:51

Allan
Pacman
Website

No...  KDEmod have their own bug tracker.

#18 2009-12-15 07:10:20

kdar

Is it possible to have, on forums, a "Prefix:" form when you try to ask a question. This prefix could tell other people what the question is it related to, to which DE or WM. Just like they have on Ubuntu forums.

#19 2009-12-22 07:07:56

osxure

well, i'm using arch and kdemod.For the kdemod, i thought it was okay.

#20 2009-12-22 07:34:20

Allan
Pacman
Website

People seem to be reading the subject of this post only....   we only care if you are using KDEMod if you are asking for help.

Closing.

Board footer