You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-22 08:28:50

drostin77

How does rebooting pertain to a USB modem? (wvdial problem)

I connect via wvdial to my 3g usb modem (or "through" i guess).  Usually, it works, but sometimes I get the following

Sending: ATZ
Sending: ATQ0
Re-Sending: ATZ
Modem not responding.

When this happens I can fix it with a reboot.  However I don't like rebooting (see below).  I am wondering if a) Someone knows a wvdial specific solution (i.e. what I might be doing wrong here), or b) if someone know what rebooting might be doing that makes my modem work again... the modem connects via usb so I imagine it may be something to do with what rebooting does in regards to usb.  If I could emulate that portion of reboot that matters with a li'l script and just call "script && connect" when it breaks instead of requiring a reboot it would save me a lot of pain.

There are 2 reasons (other than kernel upgrades) left that I restart my computer.  I usually have 8 workspaces aligned just how I want them, which is awesome, and I can rapidly get up and running when i resume/thaw.  One reason is this USB problem, so I would really like to fix it (if curious: the other is sometimes my computer stops suspending/hibernating (and actually won't shutdown/reboot without holding down power).  But I think thats just smoething I gotta grep some logs to figure out the cause of).

Board footer