You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-22 00:13:46

sCaRy

Errors...Errors...Errors..

hello may i just say hello to all the member on this forum, i am currently a newbie and linux but i know a very tiny little bit, my friend recommended that i give it a try because he said it was very nice.

so here i am smile
i have played around with ubuntu server and kubuntu but nothing amazing..

now the real reason for me starting this topic was because i installed using the beginners guide in the wiki
i got to the part where it says that i must do

pacman -Sy python

i have also setup a pppoe connection using

pppoe-setup
pppoe-start

i ping google, but nothing happens it just finds the IP for google but after that nothing happens.
i use

pppoe-status

and it is connection on eth0 and everything

but now that is not the only problem when i do use the

pacman -Sy python

i get

":: SYncrhonizizng package datases.....
error: failed to update core (no server configured for repository)
errror: failed to update extra ( no server configured for repository)
sh: /usr/bin/curl: No such file or directory
error: failed to update community (error invoking external download)
error: failed to synchronize any databases

no from what i can see i need to uncomment servers in the mirrorlist, but when i do i get this error

error: config file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist, line 7: directive 'http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/archlin … /os/x86_64' not recognized'

it says that 4 times then it says the stuff before, now if the config file has Server = "link"

then it says

error: config file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist, line 'n': directive 'Server'

so i am in a bit of a pickle.

now also, when i try use

/usr/bin/rankmirrors

i get the error

bash: /usr/bin/rankmirrors: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: no such file or directory

i googled that problem and found that installing python would help, but sadly because of the stuff before i can't, so anyone willing to help it would be most appreciated thanks for your time look forward to hearing from you smile

#2 2009-12-22 00:25:11

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Errors...Errors...Errors..

Have you correctly selected your local mirror:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mir … fic_mirror

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2009-12-22 01:12:56

sCaRy

well i am from South Africa so i don't have a local mirror atm, so i chose united states and Australia, not really sure which is best

#4 2009-12-22 01:25:56

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Using either should work: what is important is the way that you select it in /pacman.d/mirrorlist - did you follow the example on the wiki page I linked to? It should look like:

Server = ftp://ftp.some.domain/archlinux/$repo/os/i686

#5 2009-12-22 02:02:18

sCaRy

ok so i did that, found out that there is a South African mirror, but now i do it and still get the

error: config file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist, line 'n': directive 'mirror'

error

could it be something to do with the fact that i can't ping any addresses? well get's the IP address so it must be getting a reply but it doesn't do anything after that..

Last edited by sCaRy (2009-12-22 02:03:46)

#6 2009-12-22 02:03:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Post the file so we can have a look at it - use pastebin or something similar.

#7 2009-12-22 02:29:05

sCaRy

it's the basic mirrorlist file and then i added

#South Africa
'link'
'link'

the rest of the file is just servers and countries

#8 2009-12-22 02:40:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

sCaRy wrote:

it's the basic mirrorlist file and then i added

#South Africa
'link'
'link'

the rest of the file is just servers and countries

Where did you get the 'link' idea from? As I posted above, it should be of the form:

Server = ftp://ftp.some.domain/archlinux/$repo/os/i686

#9 2009-12-22 02:43:01

sCaRy

yes i did do that i just put link so that i didn't have to write out the whole actual link
but it is

#South Africa
Server = http://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/arch/
Server = ftp://archlinux.mirror.ac.za/

#10 2009-12-22 02:57:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

What about the '$repo/os/i686' bit?

#11 2009-12-22 03:28:33

sCaRy

in these particual links it doesn't have that..

#12 2009-12-22 03:36:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

..and you don't think that pacman might be struggling to find the correct repository to query?

#13 2009-12-22 03:38:35

sCaRy

and still get the error when i use the link you put
even when i uncomment all the links...

#14 2009-12-22 04:00:34

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Without being able to see the actual mirrorlist, it is very difficult to guess why you are getting those errors. Paste the mirrorlist in it's entirety please.

#15 2009-12-22 05:31:53

sCaRy

ok, how do i post the file here?

#16 2009-12-22 05:44:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

As I said at post #6 http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code

(Look, I'm not being terse because I am naturally rude - but you really do have to be prepared to put some effort in if you want assistance in these forums. If someone is trying to help you then it is polite to work with them to solve the problem. That would include doing the basics like posting all the relevant information when asked and being familiar with the etiquette and rules of the forum.)

#17 2009-12-22 06:05:42

sCaRy

i apoligize

i do not know how to post the mirrorlist file? must i write it out or must i copy and paste or what? coz on the linux system obviously i don't have internet because that's not working properly.

#18 2009-12-22 06:13:58

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Can you cat it to a usb drive and then paste it to pastebin?

If that is not going to work - just delete all the changes you made to the file and uncomment one of the entries in the US or Australia and then try a

pacman -Syy

(and from memory, the first Australian server was flaky, so pick the second or third in the list)...

#19 2009-12-22 06:40:51

chpln

jasonwryan wrote:

(from memory, the first Australian server was flaky, so pick the second or third in the list)

Just a side-note: mirror.pacific.net.au has not been updated for several months and should be avoided.  The others are (as far as I know) relatively reliable.  If in doubt, I can confirm mirror.internode.on.net is reliable.

#20 2009-12-22 07:28:39

hokasch

coz on the linux system obviously i don't have internet because that's not working properly.

You are mixing up some things here. Pacman will always fail if your internet connection is broken, and rankmirrors does not help if your mirrorlist-syntax is wrong.
I would strongly suggest you start with fixing your internet connection first. Go back to configuring network/ppoe, and if you hit a wall at some point open a new thread.when opening a new thread, be descriptive about what exactly is failng, what you already tried, error-messages/output from relevant commands etc.

re "[$repo/os/i686]":

in these particual links it doesn't have that.

the link in the wiki may not have this, nethertheless it must be added it if you want to include the server in the mirrorlist. compare the structure of the links, you will see that it must look like this:

Server = http://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/arch/$repo/os/i686
Server = ftp://archlinux.mirror.ac.za/$repo/os/i686

#21 2009-12-22 08:42:09

sCaRy

as i said in my first post my internet connection isn't working, the reason why i said that was because i was hoping you guys could help being the like veterans and what not

the problem i am having is not something i know about

to be able to use internet on a machine i have to dial a connection (PPPoE)
so i setup the pppoe connection, it dials connects 100%
i can see the external IP, my ISP is picking up that it is connecting and/or disconnecting
but whenever i try to connect to something other that in my household network it just fails
such as

ping c -3 www.google.com
ping www.google.com
ping www.is.co.za
ping www.saix.net.za

anything i try ping it gives me the address, resolves the IP for that particular address, then nothing absolutely nothing, and if i leave it long enought it eventually comes out wiht 100% packet loss sad

#22 2009-12-22 09:04:55

toad
Website

You will need to identify your modem, get the driver (or perhaps it is supported by the kernel already - there is no way we can know this from afar) and have pppoe talk to /dev/modem.

In your case I would suggest you "bloody" your hands a little more with other distros before plunging into the deep and dark depths of arch. If you do decide to persevere, however, the community will expect more precise info from you as well as command line output. Some forum competence such as familiarity with pastebin would also be useful. If you don't know about it, you have to find out. This is not a hold-your-hand-and-walk-you-through kind of place. For that you are better of at www.kubuntuforums.net (they are seriously nice - they even wear out the toughest troll wink ).

If you do insist on a rolling release I would suggest sidux. Simply fantastic in terms of ease of use and setting up and stuff.

HTH

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#23 2009-12-22 09:26:54

hokasch

Here is another way to connect PPPoE you might wanna try: PPPoE with pppd.

#24 2009-12-22 10:46:55

sCaRy

You will need to identify your modem, get the driver (or perhaps it is supported by the kernel already - there is no way we can know this from afar) and have pppoe talk to /dev/modem.

In your case I would suggest you "bloody" your hands a little more with other distros before plunging into the deep and dark depths of arch. If you do decide to persevere, however, the community will expect more precise info from you as well as command line output. Some forum competence such as familiarity with pastebin would also be useful. If you don't know about it, you have to find out. This is not a hold-your-hand-and-walk-you-through kind of place. For that you are better of at www.kubuntuforums.net (they are seriously nice - they even wear out the toughest troll wink ).

If you do insist on a rolling release I would suggest sidux. Simply fantastic in terms of ease of use and setting up and stuff.

HTH

this is what i hear that lots of ppl need to get used to other distro's first but i thought why not just try it, it can't be that bad.

in terms of output, there is no output for the ping www.google.com it is just blank. but anyway i will move on and get out your way smile

Board footer